• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I obligated to pay for braces?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Mistakes

Your ex didn't spend all $9,000 on new breasts. I bought my wife a pair a year ago, and they were $4,500. That includes everything (pre-op, surgeon's fee, anesthesia, suregery center fee, 5 days of Tylox, and post-op appts.)

And I bet her husband is loving the heck outta her new breasts!

She doesn't have to spend ANY of that 9k on braces. That 9k was to reimburse her because YOU DIDN'T PAY ANY support for however many months. So for all that time that you didn't pay, she was footing the bill 100%!

Last edited:

2Mistakes

And OG was being really nice calling you a donkey. I'm gonna go ahead and call you what you really are . . . a jackass.

You consider braces cosmetic? Think again. Do you know the emotional torment a child with bad teeth can go through? This is your daughter for God's sake!

My 11 year old daughter needs braces in the worst way. She gets picked on about her teeth all the time. But she hasn't quite lost all of her baby teeth yet, so we have to wait a few more months on the braces.

My ex-wife is court ordered to pay 1/2 for her braces. But ya know what? If my ex can't or won't pay 1/2, I'll beg, borrow or steal to get the money. (OK, I won't really steal, but you get the point.) My daughter deserves to have the correction she needs so that she can be just as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside. Your daughter deserves the same.

You disgust me!

mommyof4

And OG was being really nice calling you a donkey. I'm gonna go ahead and call you what you really are . . . a jackass.

You consider braces cosmetic? Think again. Do you know the emotional torment a child with bad teeth can go through? This is your daughter for God's sake!

My 11 year old daughter needs braces in the worst way. She gets picked on about her teeth all the time. But she hasn't quite lost all of her baby teeth yet, so we have to wait a few more months on the braces.
My ex-wife is court ordered to pay 1/2 for her braces. But ya know what? If my ex can't or won't pay 1/2, I'll beg, borrow or steal to get the money. (OK, I won't really steal, but you get the point.) My daughter deserves to have the correction she needs so that she can be just as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside. Your daughter deserves the same.

You disgust me!
Ask the orthodontist about orthodontia done in the phases (my daughter's is called phase I and phase II) method of braces. My daughter is currently finishing up phase I. She is now 12. She's had the orthodontia since she was 8. It started with a butterfly to add space and to reset her jaw, then she had spacers. Now she has braces on the front 4 teeth and the bottom 4 teeth, with a permanent retainer and the butterfly still in place. When she has all of her molars, they will remove the first set and put her in full braces. It takes longer this way, but for my daughter, it was a sanity saver. It also prevents future breaking of her jaw. Her teeth are guided in the proper position as they grow. She NEVER smiled before she had braces. Now, she loves to smile and gets different color bands at every appointment.

I also suggest, if you haven't already, consult with a pediatric orthodontist. My kids' ortho is amazing.

http://www.aapd.org/publications/brochures/earlyortho.asp
Oh yeah... you will probably think you should have a sex change, cut off your penis and then you can be a mom who pops out children... though that probably is not going to work. Men can only get pregnant if they change from a woman to a man and not the other way around.
Ohiogal...I see you caught the story about the pregnant 'man'.

MrsK, he IS obligated to pay 1/2 of the out of pocket expense. The order is very clear. If he takes it back to court, he will just be throwing more money down the drain. Money, according to him, he doesn't have to spend on his child.

Just Blue

Your ex didn't spend all $9,000 on new breasts. I bought my wife a pair a year ago, and they were $4,500. That includes everything (pre-op, surgeon's fee, anesthesia, suregery center fee, 5 days of Tylox, and post-op appts.)

And I bet her husband is loving the heck outta her new fun bags!

She doesn't have to spend ANY of that 9k on braces. That 9k was to reimburse her because YOU DIDN'T PAY ANY support for however many months. So for all that time that you didn't pay, she was footing the bill 100%!
Fun bags?? FUN BAGS????????!! I could have, quite happily, gone the rest of my life without seeing breasts referred to as fun bags.....:(:(:(

CourtClerk

Ask the orthodontist about orthodontia done in the phases (my daughter's is called phase I and phase II) method of braces. My daughter is currently finishing up phase I. She is now 12. She's had the orthodontia since she was 8. It started with a butterfly to add space and to reset her jaw, then she had spacers. Now she has braces on the front 4 teeth and the bottom 4 teeth, with a permanent retainer and the butterfly still in place. When she has all of her molars, they will remove the first set and put her in full braces. It takes longer this way, but for my daughter, it was a sanity saver. It also prevents future breaking of her jaw. Her teeth are guided in the proper position as they grow. She NEVER smiled before she had braces. Now, she loves to smile and gets different color bands at every appointment.
Great idea!!! Problem is that although I have GREAT insurance... they don't cover phase I orthodontia.

However, 4 more teeth and we're good to go (and my out of pocket is only $1,000, start to finish)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The court order states, "Reasnobale cause" means the cost of health care insurance premium does not exceed 10% of the responsible parties net income a month. "Reasnobale and Necessary" healthcare exspense not paid by insurance and inquired by or on the behalf of a child" Include, comma without limitation, any co-pays for office visits or prescription drugs, the yearly deductible, if any, medical, surgical, prescription drug, mental health care, dental, eye care, ophthalmological, and orthodontic charges. These reasnable and health care exspenses do not include transportation to and from health care providor or non prescription medication.
I sincerely doubt your order states the bolded portions as you claim it does.

While I understand your point the last sentence I would disagree with. Some people do disagree with it -- usually moms who don't feel they are getting enough CS.
i do get it, and if the kids are going with out because she used their money on herself, she should get in trouble. i am one of those moms who didn't work thru most of our marriage, and when i had a job, he made it diffucult to work. now i have a nice/steady job and he took off. but he wants to slipt the debt 50/50 (which he used to buy a bunch of big boy toys), pay some child support, and sell the house we have lived in for 12 years with our 3 kids and buy a bigger house for him and his girlfriend, when he still makes more money than me, while i still pay all of our bills. sorry off track, i know i have to have a breast reduction for health reason, and its already being trashed and this not even going to happen until i have had my insurance long enough. i just think its should be about the kids, i know braces are not a must, but he paid 9000 in back support, not for the braces. what did she do during that time the 9000 was not being paid?

mommyof4

what did she do during that time the 9000 was not being paid?
She picked up his tab.

He owed her the money. It was completely hers to do with as she wished. She had already paid his share of food, cloting, housing, medical care, etc. NOW he gets to continue to pay his CURRENT child support as ordered. If he refuses to pay it again, he will once again be paying a large amount in arrearage and he will STILL owe current and ongoing child support.

It's really not that hard to understand how CS actually works.

2Mistakes

I want to apologize if I offended any ladies here. That sincerely wasn't my intention. What I said was said in jest. OP was complaining about ex getting breast augmentation, and I was trying to "rub it in his face."

I respect women very much, and would never intentionally degrade a woman. As I was typing that comment last night, I was watching an old episode of Dave Chappelle, and the girl in the skit was calling her breasts 'fun bags.'

I had actually never heard them called that until then, and since I heard a woman call her's that, I didn't think it would be offensive.

But I do sincerely apologize if I offended anyone. :eek::(

Just Blue

I want to apologize if I offended any ladies here. That sincerely wasn't my intention. What I said was said in jest. OP was complaining about ex getting breast augmentation, and I was trying to "rub it in his face."

I respect women very much, and would never intentionally degrade a woman. As I was typing that comment last night, I was watching an old episode of Dave Chappelle, and the girl in the skit was calling her breasts 'fun bags.'

I had actually never heard them called that until then, and since I heard a woman call her's that, I didn't think it would be offensive.

But I do sincerely apologize if I offended anyone. :eek::(
I wasn't offended really...I just never heard that expression...It's kinda ...silly. :)

2Mistakes

Well, I just edited the post calling them that.

Bay quoted said post, so it is saved for posterity. LOL :D

Again, if I offended anyone, I'm sorry. You ladies on this forum have been so helpful to me, and now that I've served my ex with CS modification papers, I'm sure I'm about to need lots more help. :D I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">