• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I obligated to pay for braces?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvaagg

I reside in the state of Texas. My ex-wife demands that I pay for half of my childs braces. It is my understanding braces are considered a cosmetic procedure therefore cosmetic procedures are not medical.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Silverplum

I reside in the state of Texas. My ex-wife demands that I pay for half of my childs braces. It is my understanding braces are considered a cosmetic procedure therefore cosmetic procedures are not medical.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Your understanding is incorrect.

It falls under "orthodontia," as other posters have stated.

vvaagg

does your court order specify orthodontia expenses?
The court order states, "Reasnobale cause" means the cost of health care insurance premium does not exceed 10% of the responsible parties net income a month. "Reasnobale and Necessary" healthcare exspense not paid by insurance and inquired by or on the behalf of a child" Include, comma without limitation, any co-pays for office visits or prescription drugs, the yearly deductible, if any, medical, surgical, prescription drug, mental health care, dental, eye care, ophthalmological, and orthodontic charges. These reasnable and health care exspenses do not include transportation to and from health care providor or non prescription medication.

Silverplum

The court order states, "Reasnobale cause" means the cost of health care insurance premium does not exceed 10% of the responsible parties net income a month. "Reasnobale and Necessary" healthcare exspense not paid by insurance and inquired by or on the behalf of a child" Include, comma without limitation, any co-pays for office visits or prescription drugs, the yearly deductible, if any, medical, surgical, prescription drug, mental health care, dental, eye care, ophthalmological, and orthodontic charges. These reasnable and health care exspenses do not include transportation to and from health care providor or non prescription medication.
There's your answer. Orthodontia is included, and you are obligated to pay.

vvaagg

My main concern now is my re-deployment status from my employer (lay-offs). How does this affect my child support payment and now braces if my income is significantly different? Soon I will have no income!

vvaagg

I regret not outlining the entire saga of the custody and child support that I have encountered which would help others understand my frustration with the laws and family court. In a nutshell....the original divorce decree granted both parents joint custody, with visitation schedule as follows Friday 6:00pm through Tuesday AM for myself. She had her Tuesday through Friday with an agreed payment of child support. However, when I met my new spouse my ex decided she would take whatever steps necessary to cause nothing but drama. For a year and 1/2 I did not have access to my child UNLESS it was convenient for her. So I stopped making payments. In July of 2006 she took me back to court because at this point she was re-married, with a new child and decided it was time to collect. In January of 2007 the court granted back child support in the amount of $9000 a new payment three times bigger than the original and of course standard visitation for me. I felt she was rewarded and myself penalized for OUR mistakes. This past year the visitations have not been consistant and what gets the most is she specifically told me the $9000 would go to braces last year. Of course she ran through the money and rather than make the payments herself out of the child support she waits until now to ask for more. I have done my best not to let this woman control my new life but I need help! As I mentioned I am remarried with two new children to support. I am not a deadbeat what I want is to spend more time with my child and provide for my family. HELP!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Quite simply you both acted like donkeys and neither of you will ever grow up. YOU sir were a deadbeat. You did not pay the court ordered support and got nailed for contempt. You apparently did not take her back for contempt. Both of you need to really grow up and start acting like adults. What a shame your children witness this mess.

vvaagg

I am the first to agree it's a shame this can not be handled in a mature manner. However,rather than pass judgement the idea of this forum is to advise others who find themselves in difficult situations. Like many other fathers, we let these situations pass by thinking what IS in the best interest of the child and not drag them through this. All for what? A mother who sits at home on her rear and prefers to pop out children as a form of income.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am the first to agree it's a shame this can not be handled in a mature manner. However,rather than pass judgement the idea of this forum is to advise others who find themselves in difficult situations. Like many other fathers, we let these situations pass by thinking what IS in the best interest of the child and not drag them through this. All for what? A mother who sits at home on her rear and prefers to pop out children as a form of income.
So let me think -- the best interest of your children is as follows:
1) a father who doesn't pay child support and help support them financially
2) a father who doesn't fight to see them because it is too much trouble and therefore sees them inconsistently
3) a father who doesn't take responsibility for his actions and blames it all on mom
4) a father who believes that mom earns her income by popping out children (oh you dont' have a daughter do you?)

Yes .. that is exactly the type of father I want to help. I told you what you should have done. Now can you figure out what it is you should do now? Oh yeah... you will probably think you should have a sex change, cut off your penis and then you can be a mom who pops out children... though that probably is not going to work. Men can only get pregnant if they change from a woman to a man and not the other way around. And that still wouldn't make you a mother.

Now one more question -- which one of the two donkeys that created these children is actually being mature and thinking of their best interests -- because I know who is not.

vvaagg

Oh I get, why didn't I think of that. Thank you for the great advise! I will obtain an attorney, who will hopefully hold her in contempt of the court order for the missed visitations as well as hopefully modify the child support amount due to my decrease in income. FYI...I am blessed with three daughters. This "donkey" is growing up! Thanks again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh I get, why didn't I think of that. Thank you for the great advise! I will obtain an attorney, who will hopefully hold her in contempt of the court order for the missed visitations as well as hopefully modify the child support amount due to my decrease in income. FYI...I am blessed with three daughters. This "donkey" is growing up! Thanks again.
An attorney will NOT hold her in contempt of court. An attorney will file a motion to show cause and the court will hold her in contempt of court IF you prove she did not follow the court order and did deny you visitation (and you just decided not to show up because you didn't want to deal with her).

As for your three daughters, they should hopefully never hear from you that you consider a mother as earning income by popping out children. How degrading is that? Do you want your daughters to think of themselves as baby machines as a way to earn income?:rolleyes:

vvaagg

You're right I mistated, hopefully the courts will find her in contempt of court...fyi, luckily I filed police reports and the mother actually encouraged me to do so. As she stated "go ahead do what you gotta do" so I did. She feels she is untouchable and that's what I just don't understand why it seems the court orders are always one sided. Did I mention she is marred to a cop who has witnessed her actions and does nothing about it. Unfortunately my daughters are aware of the situation and on many occassions they have apologized for her mothers actions. They have unfortunately witnessed the mother blow through their money on frivolous things for example plastic surgery for herself. THANK GOD I am raising them to be independant and not to rely on a man to take care of them as this is the example their mother has given them. Again, I 'm just speaking from my own personal experience. All my respect to the single mothers out there. It's women like my ex-wife that give them a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">