• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for dental bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vetkaw63

What is the name of your state? Virginia
Hi,
My wife had custody, but I had my daughter on my insurance policy. My daughter moved in with a friend when she was 17 1/2. She was planning to get married. I think she is too young so I wouldn't pay for the marriage ceremony.
In retribution, my daughter had 2200 dollars in mainly cosmetic dental work done on my account. I didn't know about it, and didn't sign anything. I had specifically told my daughter NOT to get this done because I didn't think my insurance would cover any of it.
My daughter refuses to pay any of this, saying that she was only 17 1/2 at the time. The dentist say that I am responsible because they can't collect from her.
What should I do? I am REALLY MAD at the whole ordeal.
Thank You
Mike

bononos

vetkaw63 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia
Hi,
My wife had custody, but I had my daughter on my insurance policy. My daughter moved in with a friend when she was 17 1/2. She was planning to get married. I think she is too young so I wouldn't pay for the marriage ceremony.
In retribution, my daughter had 2200 dollars in mainly cosmetic dental work done on my account. I didn't know about it, and didn't sign anything. I had specifically told my daughter NOT to get this done because I didn't think my insurance would cover any of it.
My daughter refuses to pay any of this, saying that she was only 17 1/2 at the time. The dentist say that I am responsible because they can't collect from her.
What should I do? I am REALLY MAD at the whole ordeal.
Thank You
Mike
Take her to small claims court.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
YOu are responsible for the action's of your child. But who signed the forms for her to get it done? you or her mom? I dont believe that a doctor could legally have done a medical procedure (cosmetic or not) on a child without permission from an adult who signed for her. I would ask for copies of all paperwork associated with this procedure. And you can't sue your minor child in court for this money because you would be suing yourself in essence.

bononos

Ohiogal said:
YOu are responsible for the action's of your child. But who signed the forms for her to get it done? you or her mom? I dont believe that a doctor could legally have done a medical procedure (cosmetic or not) on a child without permission from an adult who signed for her. I would ask for copies of all paperwork associated with this procedure. And you can't sue your minor child in court for this money because you would be suing yourself in essence.
It was a joke!...Take her to "Moral Court"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
bononos said:
It was a joke!...Take her to "Moral Court"
Sorry. I couldn't tell.. no smiley afterwards. And there are people I know that would sue their kid in small claims. Which means I need to know better people. :rolleyes:

bononos

Ohiogal said:
Sorry. I couldn't tell.. no smiley afterwards. And there are people I know that would sue their kid in small claims. Which means I need to know better people. :rolleyes:
For some reason, I can't do smiles or change text (bold/italic).
They are on my screen, but when I click, they don't work all of a sudden.

kat1963

You really need to answer the question already asked: WHO SIGNED THE FORMS? Who authorized treatment for the MINOR AND who agreed to pay for the treatment? They CAN NOT put you down on the form as the party responsible for payment because it takes a signature! Or that you otherwise have a standing agreemtn for care with the dental office.
You provide INSURANCE COVERAGE this does NOT necessarily mean that you are responsible for the unpaid medical expenses (unless you sign for it). They can not legally bill a third party but they can obtain a court order to be able to do so.
Bottom line: You need to answer the questions.
KAT

LdiJ

kat1963 said:
You really need to answer the question already asked: WHO SIGNED THE FORMS? Who authorized treatment for the MINOR AND who agreed to pay for the treatment? They CAN NOT put you down on the form as the party responsible for payment because it takes a signature! Or that you otherwise have a standing agreemtn for care with the dental office.
You provide INSURANCE COVERAGE this does NOT necessarily mean that you are responsible for the unpaid medical expenses (unless you sign for it). They can not legally bill a third party but they can obtain a court order to be able to do so.
Bottom line: You need to answer the questions.
KAT
I agree with that...but ultimately he could still be held responsible for at least a percentage of the costs.

vetkaw63

Thank You for the serious replys. The dentist office said that I had ok'd it. I told them that I had not. They said that when I brought my daughter in that I had. I told them that I had never been there with my daughter, although they are my dentist as well.
Mike

vetkaw63

Are there any legal ramifications to the dentist office for not getting permition to perform a medical procedure on a minor? Is that legal in VA.?
Mike

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
vetkaw63 said:
Are there any legal ramifications to the dentist office for not getting permition to perform a medical procedure on a minor? Is that legal in VA.?
Mike
OUCH. Mike, I suggest you post this question on the med mal forum and tell them that Fam Law sent you there to ask. I am sure there would have to be but med mal is NOT my area. Sorta like debt collections at this point.

N

nicetryadmin

vetkaw63 said:
Mike
Well your issue right now sounds like forgery. They must have recieved a signature from someone, so request all copies of all signed documentation. I highly doubt they would've gotten the "OK" verbally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">