• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

American Friend coming to Canada with owing Child Support is it Possibile?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Edit: Question - Could it be coming out her pay check without her even knowing about it? Like before debuctions its $600 and after its $300 that doesn't seem right to me I been thinking maybe there taking it out a little each check.
Something is coming out of her check beside taxes. It may be health insurance and a retirement account contribution, or it might include child support. She needs to look at her check stub (online if its only available online).

I have an American Friend who wants to come to Canada to visit for some time she only has a State ID and a Birth Certificate which I have already asked the Canadian Border and they said she could pass with just those two things.

Now my Question is If she owes some child support would she be stuck at the border because of this? She's uncertain of the amount but knows last time she checked it was a big amount to much to pay all at once
"If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification." Advise you got from Canadian Border appears to be correct. If there is arrest warrant reentering USA could be the issue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification." Advise you got from Canadian Border appears to be correct. If there is arrest warrant reentering USA could be the issue.
This forum prefers that proper attribution be given...

EsmeGraham

Uh ... I'm pretty sure I'd notice if my paycheck was being cut in half because I owed child support.

You're not getting the whole story from your "friend". Tread carefully - she's apparently had no problem not supporting her kids which leads me to conclude that there's an excellent chance she'll have no problem screwing you over (or anyone else for that matter).

She was out of work for awhile so she couldn't really pay child support when she had no income, Now could she?

Maybe before you make accusations get the full story.

EsmeGraham

Something is coming out of her check beside taxes. It may be health insurance and a retirement account contribution, or it might include child support. She needs to look at her check stub (online if its only available online).
She's a temp right now until she's hired in as a permeant so I don't think she they would be pulling out health insurance and retirement

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">