• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Good Dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bondvee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Father Indiana Mother New Jersey

Mother sent our son to live with me and I have been the custodial parent for ten years and she has not paid a dime in child support for ten years, yet she is receiving child support from me for what she claimed was an arrears and I always took care of my son but since I did not have receipts or anything as proof she was granted arrearages. My question is we both were raising him and I was paying for his support and school tuition while he was with her from the age of 0 to 7, we then separated and I got married, she then filed a child support order on me when he was 7 although I was giving her money in her hand and did not know I had an order until my wages were attached. She sent my son to live with me at the age of 13 and I have raised him and he is currently in college and they are still taking child support on me for a child she has not had in her home for over ten years, is there a way for me to be able to get what is supposedly due her in arrearages to level or balance with what she owes me for the ten years so that it can stop the child support? Also, I am paying for college and she isn't contributing anything.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Father Indiana Mother New Jersey

Mother sent our son to live with me and I have been the custodial parent for ten years and she has not paid a dime in child support for ten years, yet she is receiving child support from me for what she claimed was an arrears and I always took care of my son but since I did not have receipts or anything as proof she was granted arrearages. My question is we both were raising him and I was paying for his support and school tuition while he was with her from the age of 0 to 7, we then separated and I got married, she then filed a child support order on me when he was 7 although I was giving her money in her hand and did not know I had an order until my wages were attached. She sent my son to live with me at the age of 13 and I have raised him and he is currently in college and they are still taking child support on me for a child she has not had in her home for over ten years, is there a way for me to be able to get what is supposedly due her in arrearages to level or balance with what she owes me for the ten years so that it can stop the child support? Also, I am paying for college and she isn't contributing anything.

No.

Now had you filed for support when the child was still a minor, it might have been a possibility.

Since you didn't file for support when the child was living with you, mom had no legal obligation to pay any support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">