• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any ideas on how to stop child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raz0r911

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
My son and daughter have lived in Texas with their mother for all their lives and I have always paid child support religiously. About 2 1/2 years ago my child support was raised substantially then six months later my 2 years ago my 13 year old son wanted to come live with me and did-so. During the last 2 years my support continued to go to her always with promises to dismiss it etc but never came to fruition and due to the increase I was never able to afford an attorney. Now the circumstances have changed even more and my daughter came to live with me over the summer so now I have both kids and I am paying her child support but of course any conversation about dropping it gets quickly swept under the rug. Now more than ever I am unable to afford an attorney and do not know what to do. Hoping someone here has some advice so I can afford-ably get support stopped. I will also add, I never even asked her for support despite the fact she does make more money than I do and is a two income family where I am a one income household, I just wanted my kids together and to enjoy them before they graduate high school!

justalayman

not much to say other than you will have to seek a modification of the custody and support order. Either figure out how to hire an attorney or figure out how to do it without an attorney. There is no magic bullet that will change anything for you. It's either go to court or things stay the way they are.

Is the mother willing to accept a change of custody? If not, you would have to fight for that.

ecmst12

You need to file to modify custody and child support based on the kids living with you. Unfortunately the change will only go as far back as the date you file. But you should also file to have mom start paying you child support going forward since you have custody. She won't be happy about this of course. But it's the proper thing to do.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
My son and daughter have lived in Texas with their mother for all their lives and I have always paid child support religiously. About 2 1/2 years ago my child support was raised substantially then six months later my 2 years ago my 13 year old son wanted to come live with me and did-so. During the last 2 years my support continued to go to her always with promises to dismiss it etc but never came to fruition and due to the increase I was never able to afford an attorney. Now the circumstances have changed even more and my daughter came to live with me over the summer so now I have both kids and I am paying her child support but of course any conversation about dropping it gets quickly swept under the rug. Now more than ever I am unable to afford an attorney and do not know what to do. Hoping someone here has some advice so I can afford-ably get support stopped. I will also add, I never even asked her for support despite the fact she does make more money than I do and is a two income family where I am a one income household, I just wanted my kids together and to enjoy them before they graduate high school!

If the children are now living with you, you need to file to modify the current order based on that.

Go here: http://www.okdhs.org/library/forms/ocss/

Scroll down a bit and you'll find the forms to modify the current order.

That's ONLY relevant if the order is actually out of OK.

If the order comes from Texas, you need to go here instead (you might have to dig a bit): https://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/parents/index.shtml

ecmst12

Unless you're in easy travel distance of the court in TX where your order is out of, you will be better off getting an attorney in TX to handle this for you. It should be a relatively simple matter since you have status quo, but mom will probably fight it so you will end up in court eventually.

raz0r911

Unless you're in easy travel distance of the court in TX where your order is out of, you will be better off getting an attorney in TX to handle this for you. It should be a relatively simple matter since you have status quo, but mom will probably fight it so you will end up in court eventually.

Would she have a case? We mutually exchanged custody so I am not sure what there is to fight, surely she could not keep the child support even though I have the kids?

ecmst12

Not much of one, but that doesn't mean she won't try, especially if she's been depending on your CS money (that she shouldn't even be getting) for a while.

LdiJ

Would she have a case? We mutually exchanged custody so I am not sure what there is to fight, surely she could not keep the child support even though I have the kids?
If she were to regain custody of the children, naturally child support would follow. That is almost impossible to happen for your son, because he has been living with you long enough that status quo is established. However, your daughter is another matter. You could easily be ordered to send your daughter back to mom, as status quo has not been established for her.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Seriously - Google is your best friend. Took all of 10 seconds and "child support modification texas" to get info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">