• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appealing a decision!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fightingbackdad

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I have been proceeding up to this point Pro-Se and so has my Ex-wife. We were fighting in court over medical expenses that she has accrued over the past few years. In our divorce decree it states that I am responsible for 1/2 of the non-reimbursed medical/dental/orthodontic expenses and she is to provide medical coverage for our child.

She unfortunately has not maintained continuous coverage so the majority of the expenses that she has kept track of were either while there was NO coverage or not covered due to pre-existing condition. I had fought these charges with the hearing officer and actually won. She then appealed to the district court judge and a hearing was set up. I ended up missing the hearing (supposed to call in via phone from out of state), and she won by default.

I need to know what can I do to appeal this. All the court will tell me is I have to go through the Court of Appeals, but hiring a lawyer will cost me more than the bills are worth, except the fact that my current wife is ready to wring my neck.

The biggest problem I have is I live out of state, halfway across the country, so appearing in court is a hassle to say the least.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

LdiJ

They are telling you that you would have to take it to the appellate court. That is an expensive endeavor and really can't be done without an attorney. Its really quite likely that it will cost you more than the medical bills.

GrowUp!

fightingbackdad said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

I have been proceeding up to this point Pro-Se and so has my Ex-wife. We were fighting in court over medical expenses that she has accrued over the past few years. In our divorce decree it states that I am responsible for 1/2 of the non-reimbursed medical/dental/orthodontic expenses and she is to provide medical coverage for our child.

She unfortunately has not maintained continuous coverage so the majority of the expenses that she has kept track of were either while there was NO coverage or not covered due to pre-existing condition. I had fought these charges with the hearing officer and actually won. She then appealed to the district court judge and a hearing was set up. I ended up missing the hearing (supposed to call in via phone from out of state), and she won by default.

I need to know what can I do to appeal this. All the court will tell me is I have to go through the Court of Appeals, but hiring a lawyer will cost me more than the bills are worth, except the fact that my current wife is ready to wring my neck.

The biggest problem I have is I live out of state, halfway across the country, so appearing in court is a hassle to say the least.What is the name of your state?
Let this be a costly lesson to appear telephonically next time. That is IF you are granted that request next time.

fightingbackdad

GrowUp! said:
Let this be a costly lesson to appear telephonically next time. That is IF you are granted that request next time.

Thank you for your words of wisdom, like I haven't heard that already from my wife. I'm not going to say what the reason was that I missed the appointment, but it was a very good reason and out of my control.

The main reason I posted on here was to get help with how to proceed to appeal the decision, not to be reminded of what has already transpired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">