• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrearages in child support ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cruelgirl

What is the name of your state? tenn.
my ex is a DBD and owes a large amount of arrearages! my children are ages 20 &21 now.
he has been under the radar since 1995 and i have not seen a payment in 12 years.
to the best of my knowledge,the statue of limitations is 10yrs. from the date of last payment. MY QUESTION IS : since he will not pay the ordered amount,and chooses to hide under a rock, can i in an attempt to recover some of my loss,reduce the total amount
of arrears and offer him a small purge with smaller payments for a set period of time?
i figure a little money would be better than none !!

cruelgirl

the name of my state is, tenn.

thank you for setting me strait on the statue of limitations !

i still need to know if i can reduce or modify the total amount of arrears owed to me ?
and if so , how do i go about it ?
thank you , cruelgirl

Gracie3787

the name of my state is, tenn.

thank you for setting me strait on the statue of limitations !

i still need to know if i can reduce or modify the total amount of arrears owed to me ?
and if so , how do i go about it ?
thank you , cruelgirl
Are any of the arrears owed to the state? Meaning, did you at any time collect public assistance?
If so, then some, or all of the arrears are owed to the state as reimbursement and you cannot "forgive" any of the arrears.

If not, and nothing is owed to the state, you have the right to accept any amount you wish and "forgive" the rest of the arrears. This will have to be done through the court though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">