• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears Forgiveness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DA412

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

12 years ago, I was court ordered to pay arrears to my ex-girlfriend. I've been paying monthly since then. My ex and I have recently agreed on a lump sum payment and she will forgive the remaining arrears. I know we need to get it in writing, but wanted to see if it could be done without an attorney? Could we just get a statement notarized? Or would I need to file something with the court?

Thanks in advance.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

12 years ago, I was court ordered to pay arrears to my ex-girlfriend. I've been paying monthly since then. My ex and I have recently agreed on a lump sum payment and she will forgive the remaining arrears. I know we need to get it in writing, but wanted to see if it could be done without an attorney? Could we just get a statement notarized? Or would I need to file something with the court?

Thanks in advance.
It will have to be filed with the court. You do not, either of you, "need" an attorney to do so. But I do recommend you both have one. :)

DA412

It will have to be filed with the court. You do not, either of you, "need" an attorney to do so. But I do recommend you both have one. :)
Thank you.

I'm sure it would be much easier with an attorney. My attorney is pretty expensive and I'm, obviously, trying to save a little money, so I wanted to see if it was something I could do myself.

If I were to go at it myself, what would I need to file with the court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">