• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears forgiveness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MommyNurse1

Minnesota. Is it possible to have child support arrears forgiven? My husband who is on disability still owes about 7K in arrears for his child who is almost 22 years old. What is the process to possibly have this forgiven. I am unable to find very much information from the state other than to say that once you are below $500 they may forgive that amount.

Proserpina

Minnesota. Is it possible to have child support arrears forgiven? My husband who is on disability still owes about 7K in arrears for his child who is almost 22 years old. What is the process to possibly have this forgiven. I am unable to find very much information from the state other than to say that once you are below $500 they may forgive that amount.
If they are owed to the state, they'll generally want their money.

If they are owed to the other parent, it's really her decision. She'll need to agree in writing.

You can read here: http://www.lawhelpmn.org/files/1765CC5E-1EC9-4FC4-65EC-957272D8A04E/attachments/37C56937-127E-4F7E-B018-87E8BE4002A9/child-support.pdf

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're a bit hypocritical, aren't you? You sure were hellbent to get the arrears owed to you paid.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/modification-medical-support-602359.html

LdiJ

Is it SSDI? Did he go on disability while the child was still a minor? Did the child receive any back pay benefits? If so, did he ever go to court to have the back pay benefits credited towards his arrearage?

MommyNurse1

It is SSDI and he did go on disabililty when he was a minor. I don't think that the child received any back pay benefits.

Zigner-My children are all not at the age of majority where his is over 18 and fully supporting himself. Have a blessed day!

Zigner

It is SSDI and he did go on disabililty when he was a minor. I don't think that the child received any back pay benefits.

Zigner-My children are all not at the age of majority where his is over 18 and fully supporting himself. Have a blessed day!
Child support is to reimburse the parent for what they have already paid. :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
his is over 18 and fully supporting himself. Have a blessed day!
And his ex covered what your hubby didn't pay. <spit>

ETA: You can't even answer questions regarding your own situation properly. Leave it to hubby to address his own legal issues.

Last edited:

MommyNurse1

At some point during his growing up, my husband lost his job. He notified her immediately and she agreed to temporarily drop his case. She never did file the necessary legal documentation so of course he racked up arrears. He paid what he could but it wasn't the full amount and he never followed up to make sure that she would actually follow up on what she said. I figured that there is no forgiving arrears except under some very dire circumstances which is what I told him in the first place. Once he regained employment, then he started making the full payments. Then he went on disability and they can only take some much out of there so it will take some time to pay that back.

Silverplum

I always hate when that phrase is used in such a self-serving, self-righteous manner. :mad:

Personally, I hope you have a cruddy year, MommyNurse1. :rolleyes:

Proserpina

At some point during his growing up, my husband lost his job. He notified her immediately and she agreed to temporarily drop his case. She never did file the necessary legal documentation so of course he racked up arrears. He paid what he could but it wasn't the full amount and he never followed up to make sure that she would actually follow up on what she said. I figured that there is no forgiving arrears except under some very dire circumstances which is what I told him in the first place. Once he regained employment, then he started making the full payments. Then he went on disability and they can only take some much out of there so it will take some time to pay that back.

It wasn't Mom's responsibility to file anything. The failure was your husband's, and his only.

MommyNurse1

I always hate when that phrase is used in such a self-serving, self-righteous manner. :mad:

Personally, I hope you have a cruddy year, MommyNurse1. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry that you felt the need to respond in a negative manner. You don't know the intentions behind my words and you don't know me so why make things so personal. I tell people to have a blessed day all of the time. I hope you have a blessed year and a blessed day.

Zigner

I'm sorry that you felt the need to respond in a negative manner. You don't know the intentions behind my words and you don't know me so why make things so personal. I tell people to have a blessed day all of the time. I hope you have a blessed year and a blessed day.
Where have I heard this before...? I suspect this poster has been here before.

MommyNurse1

It wasn't Mom's responsibility to file anything. The failure was your husband's, and his only.
I wasn't sure who did or didn't do what they were supposed to in this situation. Thank you for your response. I didn't think there was anything that could be done. You have to pay what is owed. He should have petitioned the court at the time that he lost his job.

CSO286

You mean to say he never filed for a modification of his support.

See, when if he wanted it bad enough, he should have taken the necessary action instead of counting on other people to do his legwork....Especially when he's asking his ex to take action to her detriment and his benefit.

(a former MN CS employee.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">