• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears only collection? How? Please help me if you can!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Current residence is Tennessee. Court order is out of the state of New Mexico

My ex-husband currently owes me $19,000+ in child support arrears. In our last order revision, as two children lived with me and one with him, child support was put on hold and any dollar amount I might have owed for our youngest (as our older ones had aged out by then) was subtracted from his arrears and at such a time when the youngest aged out, I could then attempt to collect the balance. The yongest moved in with me in January and recently graduated from HS in Tennessee.

My youngest child will be 18 y/o next month and from what I gather, CSE services focus on collection of current support owed which is understandable. However, I would like to attempt to collect from the father and I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to go about doing this.
As my ex-husband filed bankruptcy in January and I knew he could not try to dismiss an action to collect via bankruptcy for a few years, I contacted Support Kids for help in this matter. I was told by Support Kids that their organization in not licensed in the state of Tennessee to collect, despite the fact that my order was made in NM. It is because I myself am a resident of TN.

If there is any additional information that I can provide to help you help me or if I was not clear about something, do not hesitate to let me know! I'm sure my post is all over the place :)

Thank you so very much for any assistance you might be able to provide. I understand that it's the weekend and y'all are busy doing weekend things but I'm going to keep checking!

Thanks again,
Ami

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Current residence is Tennessee. Court order is out of the state of New Mexico

My ex-husband currently owes me $19,000+ in child support arrears. In our last order revision, as two children lived with me and one with him, child support was put on hold and any dollar amount I might have owed for our youngest (as our older ones had aged out by then) was subtracted from his arrears and at such a time when the youngest aged out, I could then attempt to collect the balance. The yongest moved in with me in January and recently graduated from HS in Tennessee.

My youngest child will be 18 y/o next month and from what I gather, CSE services focus on collection of current support owed which is understandable. However, I would like to attempt to collect from the father and I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to go about doing this.
As my ex-husband filed bankruptcy in January and I knew he could not try to dismiss an action to collect via bankruptcy for a few years, I contacted Support Kids for help in this matter. I was told by Support Kids that their organization in not licensed in the state of Tennessee to collect, despite the fact that my order was made in NM. It is because I myself am a resident of TN.
Have you actually handed the case to Support Kids?

If there is any additional information that I can provide to help you help me or if I was not clear about something, do not hesitate to let me know! I'm sure my post is all over the place :)

Thank you so very much for any assistance you might be able to provide. I understand that it's the weekend and y'all are busy doing weekend things but I'm going to keep checking!

Thanks again,
Ami
Ami, the sad reality is that you might never see another dime from him. Some people are just so determined to not pay that they'll tank their own credit and everything which goes along with it.

Bankruptcy theoretically will free up enough money to pay his arrears, but.... again, if he doesn't want to pay he's just not going to pay.

Have you looked at the actual court options? (rather than CSE)

Much appreciated

Have you actually handed the case to Support Kids?
Thank you. I attempted to do exactly that, using their online form initially. After I had entered the requested information I received an error message which said that they were unable to process my application and to contact their office via telephone which I did the next day and a representitive told me that Support Kids does not hold the necessary licencing needed inthe state of Tennessee to collect for a resident of TN. This despite the fact that my court orders originated from New Mexico; I asked a few different times to make sure I hadn't misunderstood anything.

Ami, the sad reality is that you might never see another dime from him. Some people are just so determined to not pay that they'll tank their own credit and everything which goes along with it.

Bankruptcy theoretically will free up enough money to pay his arrears, but.... again, if he doesn't want to pay he's just not going to pay.

Have you looked at the actual court options? (rather than CSE)
Thanks again, and yes. I'm fully aware that some are just that determined not to pay, y'all have taught me that, among other things. I have gleaned a great deal of information in my years of reading and re-reading this forum and non payment from a parent is certainly something I understand does happen. I have not yet looked at the available court options but it appears that is what it may take. Having just finished a long and drawn out four year court battle with my ex over stolen marital property, forgery, fraudulant conveyance, etc I'm just not eager to set foot inside a courtroom anytime soon but I will do what must be done.

One final question, if I may. To your knowledge are their other organizatons similiar to Support Kids? I will of course, do the googling myself for the answer but it doesn't hurt to ask!

torimac

The problem with using an organization like Support Kids is that the child support arrears becomes a debt owed to Support Kids (who then will pay you a portion). Once it is a debt and no longer a child support arrears, it can be treated like any other debt and dismissed in bankruptcy court. If that happens, he will not have to pay anything.

Personally, if it were me, I would just wait. They may win the lottery, try to sell/buy a house, or collect retirement/social security. All of those events will likely result in you getting some, if not all, of the arrears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">