• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears owed, child is 19, spouse has passed away. Who gets the money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steven.kent5

Ohio

My situation: My daughter is 19. Child support was terminated when she turned 18. I owe a bit in arrears that is automatically payed from my Social Security.
Last November my former spouse passed away. Who is receiving the payments?

steven.kent5

My daughter is not executor of her mother's estate

It would go to the parent's estate.
My daughter is not executor of her mother's estate, the grandmother is, and the two are estranged. My daughter has a restraining order on the grandmother because she keeps entering the property unannounced and has threatened her on several occasions. The grandmother has now gone as far as to serve an eviction notice on my daughter (grandmother apparently has the note on the house and the car.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My daughter is not executor of her mother's estate, the grandmother is, and the two are estranged. My daughter has a restraining order on the grandmother because she keeps entering the property unannounced and has threatened her on several occasions. The grandmother has now gone as far as to serve an eviction notice on my daughter (grandmother apparently has the note on the house and the car.)
That does not change the fact that the payments go to the estate.

If the grandmother is not properly administering the estate, then that's something that your daughter would need to challenge.

LdiJ

It sounds like your daughter needs an attorney.

Eekamouse

To be clear, that back child support you owe is not meant to go to your daughter. That money is owed to your ex for the support of your child. Your daughter is not entitled to any of it. Well, unless she inherits it from her mother's estate.

BL

Ohio

My situation: My daughter is 19. Child support was terminated when she turned 18. I owe a bit in arrears that is automatically payed from my Social Security.
Last November my former spouse passed away. Who is receiving the payments?
It is advisable to contact your local SSA Office in person if you can , with a death certificate.

You can also call their toll free number and inform them.They may require you to send proof.

Either way mention the CS guarnishment and who it was going to.

Let SSA deal with it .

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So grandma keeps going into HER house. Has it occurred to you that your daughter might be a pip?

TinkerBelleLuvr

If the daughter is a RENTER and the grandmother the person from whom she is renting, then grandma can't just go in whenever she wants. Apparently a judge felt the same way.

What's a pip?
From dictionary.com

pip
1 [pip] Show IPA
noun
one of the spots on dice, playing cards, or dominoes.
each of the small segments into which the surface of a pineapple is divided.
Informal. metal insigne of rank on the shoulders of commissioned officers.
Horticulture .
a.
an individual rootstock of a plant, especially of the lily of the valley.
b.
a portion of the rootstock or root of several other plants, as the peony.

BL

pip :D

(1) A pain in the ass.
(2) A real character.
(3) Someone who tends to be difficult, but still likeable.

(1) Boy that postal worker was rudely sarcastic - a real ****ing pip.
(2) That guy over there is being overly friendly to everyone, asking them all sorts of questions, and just being too social in a weird way. Seems like a real pip.
(3) My wife was acting like a real pip last night, but of course, I still love her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">