• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dolfan82

AZ

Hello, I was recently ordered to start paying child support which will add $100 on arrears payments every month. Judge ordered that I could claim my son on my tax returns on even years and mother on odd ones. Will my refund check be taken by child support department? I ask because I am not sure, since I am going to start making arrears payments, I would not be late or on default for the payments, right?

Thank you all in advance.

Isis1

When you say recent...how recent?

Usually, from my understanding they will not run after you until you've been frequently missing payments. If you have made every single payment since the order has been placed and the support agency took on the case, they'll leave you alone.

dolfan82

Payment was due on May 1 and past due at the end of every month. So I guess, technically I would have a full month to pay it.

teach85

Why is there an arrearage? In my case with my ex, he owed an arrearage of over $4,000. He was order to pay an extra $30 a week on top of child support. When he filed taxes the state took it and I got a check. He of course was in arrearage because he didn't pay what he was ordered to pay for quite awhile. I am also in Illinois. I don't know the law in AZ just giving some insight on what happened in my case.

CSO286

When you say recent...how recent?

Usually, from my understanding they will not run after you until you've been frequently missing payments. If you have made every single payment since the order has been placed and the support agency took on the case, they'll leave you alone.
This is incorrect. CSED will certify any arrearages greater than $25 for tax refund intercept.

Regardless of the payment history.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is incorrect. CSED will certify any arrearages greater than $25 for tax refund intercept.

Regardless of the payment history.
CSO, I will dispute that only as in far as different states have different limits. I do not REMEMBER what state you are in but I did not think it was AZ. In Ohio for instance it is $250 for a state refund and $500 for a federal refund to be taken for an arrearage amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">