• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears/wrong amount?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California...

A friend of mine has been paying monthly arrears as well as child support to his ex-wife. He thought there would be a huge dent in the balance by now after paying on arrears for 3 years. The original balance of arrears was 9500. He recently found out the balance was now apprx. $50,000. He went to the DA and got a print out that stated he owed $9500 then FOUR days later it registered $33,000. He went to child support liberation and they told him he PAID $23,000...that is where that came from...NO HE DID NOT, and he stated that. How could they mess this up? Also how through is an audit? I don't see how they told him he paid 23grand if he now owes 50grand...what type of interest do they charge? I think he is missing some part of the picture here.

LdiJ

novembersea said:
What is the name of your state? California...

A friend of mine has been paying monthly arrears as well as child support to his ex-wife. He thought there would be a huge dent in the balance by now after paying on arrears for 3 years. The original balance of arrears was 9500. He recently found out the balance was now apprx. $50,000. He went to the DA and got a print out that stated he owed $9500 then FOUR days later it registered $33,000. He went to child support liberation and they told him he PAID $23,000...that is where that came from...NO HE DID NOT, and he stated that. How could they mess this up? Also how through is an audit? I don't see how they told him he paid 23grand if he now owes 50grand...what type of interest do they charge? I think he is missing some part of the picture here.
Something is seriously wrong here. It almost seems as though they are posting someone else's information to his account. This may be a case where its best to get some help from an attorney to straighten it out.

Yes it seems there is something HUGE missing here...child support liberation doest' seem to even know what they are doing for what he paid them.

nextwife

He should request a complete audit of the account, showing month by month calculations. They need to show their accounting and how their total was arrived at and what payments were credited so he can compare to those payments made.

He will likely ultimately need an attorney.

D

D.A.A.

I can honestly say this has happened to me. I was with my sons mother for 4.5 yrs before my son was born. We were together until the day she took off with him.(living in the same house) She got on welfare in another state, they went after me for child support went back to the day he was born. I had proof we were living together, (lease in both of our names, utility bills etc.) Show these to your case worker and you will get it knocked off. THey knocked off 3,000 of mine.
Hope this helps!!

S

stupified

I feel your pain

The situation I'm currently in they wont even give me credit for support paid and I even have proof of my payments. I have photos of the checks that I sent in for the paments showing that they were cashed.

DLO_FL

What your friend needs to do is send them a certified letter (return reciept requested) to request a audit of his entire account. This way, they can't say the didn't get it. If he calls them instead, he *may* wait forever for it to arrive, atleast this is what happened to us.

Here's a sample letter, he can send...make a copy of his letter, and keep the mail receipt & letter for your records.

Certfifed Ref#000000000000000000000

To whom it may concern;

Please consider this letter to be a request under the Freedom of Information Act for a copy of the entire contents of my file from the onset of my child support obligation that pertains to my case number xxxxxxxx; including but not limited any and all documents within my file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">