• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assisting with expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cainlord

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

I received a message from the CP asking for assistance with some expenses that are outside of what is in our court order which the CP is having trouble paying due to a voluntary decrease in employment.

Before I do anything, I want to know if I go ahead and provide payment assistance for any of the expenses, will any of that be considered something legally permanent/expected that needs to be done in addition to what I already do provide for support?

In addition, if there is anything in particular I need to put in writing in response to the CP, basically wording it a certain way if I do agree to assist, any advice on that would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

You are free to provide any amount of money above and beyond your court order that you wish. This "gift" you give the CP is 100% voluntary on your part and you may discontinue this "gift" payment whenever you wish. The only thing that could cause your court ordered payments to increase is if the CP filles for a support modification and you have had a pay increase or the CP has had an involuntary pay decrease since the last court order was established.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

I received a message from the CP asking for assistance with some expenses that are outside of what is in our court order which the CP is having trouble paying due to a voluntary decrease in employment.

Before I do anything, I want to know if I go ahead and provide payment assistance for any of the expenses, will any of that be considered something legally permanent/expected that needs to be done in addition to what I already do provide for support?

In addition, if there is anything in particular I need to put in writing in response to the CP, basically wording it a certain way if I do agree to assist, any advice on that would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
No, assisting with those expenses would not somehow obligate you to any permanent assistance, unless it is something customary that somehow did not make it into your child support order (sharing out of pocket medical expenses, sharing daycare expenses etc.). If it was something customary that somehow did not make it into your child support order she could file for a modification anyway, to get it added.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">