• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attachments to banking account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

avmaster

Washington DC
i've been paying a monthly support order for the past couple of years with no interuptions, this is arrears for TANF; however the DC OFCS has "cleared out" my banking accounts three times now. The first time I got my money back, minus fees, after speaking with them. The second time I got back less than a 3rd. This time I haven't been able to speak with anybody yet, but do I have any recourse other than closing those accounts

Antigone*

Washington DC
i've been paying a monthly support order for the past couple of years with no interuptions, this is arrears for TANF; however the DC OFCS has "cleared out" my banking accounts three times now. The first time I got my money back, minus fees, after speaking with them. The second time I got back less than a 3rd. This time I haven't been able to speak with anybody yet, but do I have any recourse other than closing those accounts
You will need to speak to the agency that is attempting to recoup the money you owe.

CSO286

Washington DC
You certainly do.

Pay the past due child support and they will stop levying your accounts.

Interesting point: You attemtpt to make a distinction that this debt isn't as significant, becasue it is for TANF monies, but here;'s the thing: Had you been paying support as ordered whil the CP was receiving TANF funds, you would not be in arrears. The only difference is that the TANF arrears are owed to the state to pay them back for the money the state spent supporting your child(ren).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">