• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bud8n2k6

What is the name of your state? CO

Well I think I am going to have to get an attorney but I wanted to make sure what my issues are so when I go see someone I know what questions to ask and I don't waste a lot of time talking about things that aren't going to help me. I know I have posted here before and pissed a few people off but just bear with me on this.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the actual amount that is used to calculate daycare expenses that get entered into the child support worksheet? I am looking at my ex's tax return and there is an amount that she has claimed but I believe the daycare credit she takes gets subtracted from that amount and the remainder is divided by 12. That is the amount that goes into the CO Child support worksheet. Right?

2. CO Law states that a child is emancipated, without a court order, when several things happen. One of those is the child reaching the age of 19 support ends at the end of that month. The CO law also states that if a child (19 years old is a man) is still attending an approved high school program, support continues until the month after he graduates or he reaches 21. The problem I have with this is that my ex let him drop out of school for almost 10 months and then when I filed a motion for emancipation she put him back in school and not he will graduate 9 months later than he should have. Will the judge take this into consideration?

I would also like to know if the attorney I hire will only work on these issues and not anything else and base his fee only on these two issues?

LdiJ

I don't know of any state child support calculators that deduct the amount of the child care credit from the child care amount. I suppose its possible that CO's calculator does that....but I would be surprized if it does.

If your child is still in high school, he is still in high school.....I doubt that a judge will take the gap into consideration...but anything is possible.

I don't know how an attorney could represent you ONLY on those two issues, without also being involved in anything else regarding the child support case.

NotSoNew

1. here is the offical CO CS calculator, it has a help button to click for child care with a note that its very complicated.

http://www.courts.state.co.us/chs/court/forms/domestic/ChildSupportWorksheets.xls

that should help. I know the NJ calculator did so some calculation deducting the child care credit also.

2. no, i dont think the judge will take this into consideration. he is under 21 and still in HS, thats all that matters.

3. lawyers bill by the hour, no matter what the issues at hand are. however many hours they work on your issues is what they are going to charge you for.

NotSoNew

fairisfair said:
OMG, CO child support is actually different for male children vs female children......????? that is apalling.
yeah i cant see where you found that? i dont even see where it asks if the child is male or female...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">