• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auditors check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoodlum

What is the name of your state? Indiana I received a check from the Auditor of the State of Indiana today and can not figure out what it is for?

The check has a warrant number listed and it is for the same amount of support that I pay per week to the mother of my child.

Can anyone explain to me what a child support warrant check is?

The only thing that I can think of is that she signed papers for me to receive credit when I had my child extended stays above the scheduled visitation time on our papers and it gave me a credit of about 1300.00.

Is this what that could be from?

This really has me baffled. I called the state child support line where they list payments and it said if you received a child support payor refund push one and it gave the amount and the date they sent it out

ceara19

hoodlum said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana I received a check from the Auditor of the State of Indiana today and can not figure out what it is for?

The check has a warrant number listed and it is for the same amount of support that I pay per week to the mother of my child.

Can anyone explain to me what a child support warrant check is?

The only thing that I can think of is that she signed papers for me to receive credit when I had my child extended stays above the scheduled visitation time on our papers and it gave me a credit of about 1300.00.

Is this what that could be from?

This really has me baffled. I called the state child support line where they list payments and it said if you received a child support payor refund push one and it gave the amount and the date they sent it out
Most states refer to child support payment checks as warrants. I'm not POSITIVE, but I'm pretty sure what you received is a refund of an overpayment. Call the Agency that issued the check Monday and make sure before you spend the money though. If it is, you will probably be getting a check each week until the credit is $0. Make sure you keep tabs on the amount yourself so that you don't end up behind if the state makes a mistake.

LdiJ

ceara19 said:
Most states refer to child support payment checks as warrants. I'm not POSITIVE, but I'm pretty sure what you received is a refund of an overpayment. Call the Agency that issued the check Monday and make sure before you spend the money though. If it is, you will probably be getting a check each week until the credit is $0. Make sure you keep tabs on the amount yourself so that you don't end up behind if the state makes a mistake.
Well...I agree that OP should check with the agency that issued the check. However the whole thing is very odd.

Indiana abolished the 50% abatement for extended visitation years ago. Credit for parenting time is now built into the child support calculation, and the credits are VERY generous. In addition its rare for Indiana to refund excess child support, (they normally hold it as a credit for the future) and if they do, they refund it in bulk..they don't dole it out piecemeal.

My concern would be that somehow something got fouled up in the CSE computer....and that the ncp is getting the regular CS payments instead of the cp.

Therefore, I definitely would NOT spend the money. I would stick it in a savings account somewhere and pretend that it doesn't exist. If eventually it turns out that OP really is entitled to the money...then a nest egg will exist. If not, the money will be available to pay back.

ceara19

LdiJ said:
Well...I agree that OP should check with the agency that issued the check. However the whole thing is very odd.

Indiana abolished the 50% abatement for extended visitation years ago. Credit for parenting time is now built into the child support calculation, and the credits are VERY generous. In addition its rare for Indiana to refund excess child support, (they normally hold it as a credit for the future) and if they do, they refund it in bulk..they don't dole it out piecemeal.

My concern would be that somehow something got fouled up in the CSE computer....and that the ncp is getting the regular CS payments instead of the cp.

Therefore, I definitely would NOT spend the money. I would stick it in a savings account somewhere and pretend that it doesn't exist. If eventually it turns out that OP really is entitled to the money...then a nest egg will exist. If not, the money will be available to pay back.
I thought most states held the overpayment until the child support obligation was terminated and then refunded it. But, Texas recently started refunding overpayments this way, which, I agree is very odd. They only refund the amount in a lump sum if the payment hasn't been sent to the CP. Otherwise, they basically send the regular payments back to the NCP until the books are all even again. But in the short time they've been doing this, they've already managed to screw it up more than once.

LdiJ

ceara19 said:
I thought most states held the overpayment until the child support obligation was terminated and then refunded it. But, Texas recently started refunding overpayments this way, which, I agree is very odd. They only refund the amount in a lump sum if the payment hasn't been sent to the CP. Otherwise, they basically send the regular payments back to the NCP until the books are all even again. But in the short time they've been doing this, they've already managed to screw it up more than once.
That's because it can be contradictory on an accounting level...so its easy to mismanage....or for software to mismanage. A business can handle it easily....via credit memos...but CS agencies are rarely equiped to properly deal with that on an accounting basis....which is REALLY sad, but reality because they work through employers rather than making "direct debits" of their own.

See...if a business had a direct debit situation (similar to garnishment from someone's wages for CS) then a business would simply code their computer to discontinue the direct debit until the credit was used up....and to restart it again afterwards.

Its much more complicated with actual wage garnishment.

hoodlum

I get paid biweekly and my child support is taken out of my check before I get it. I had it set up that way through my employer when I first started paying it.

So when she receives the support it is two weeks at a time. The check I received was for one week.

One of my friends told me that when they get their child support it has their name on it and the Payor name on it which is her ex-husband and their case number.

The weird thing is she is getting ready to take me back to have our support amount revisited. The amount that is overpaid has been on there for over three years now.

I too thought that if there was an overpayment that it would be addressed near the end of the time that support had to be paid, like when our child turns 18 or if she goes to college after that.

So if they are giving me back the overpayment then does that mean my child is going without.

I will definitely call on Monday to find out what it is for.

ceara19

hoodlum said:
I get paid biweekly and my child support is taken out of my check before I get it. I had it set up that way through my employer when I first started paying it.

So when she receives the support it is two weeks at a time. The check I received was for one week.

One of my friends told me that when they get their child support it has their name on it and the Payor name on it which is her ex-husband and their case number.

The weird thing is she is getting ready to take me back to have our support amount revisited. The amount that is overpaid has been on there for over three years now.

I too thought that if there was an overpayment that it would be addressed near the end of the time that support had to be paid, like when our child turns 18 or if she goes to college after that.

So if they are giving me back the overpayment then does that mean my child is going without.

I will definitely call on Monday to find out what it is for.
If the check is a reimbursement for the overage, the fact that you only got 50% of the support returned could be because they don't want the child to get NOTHING at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">