• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident settlement vs. Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wraith

What is the name of your state?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: WA STATE recently sent my ex-spouse a letter asking her if she knew when I was involved in an accident. One of the boxes was is the respondent unwilling to tell you? So they are case building already.

It's not enough that I had a boatload of injuries in my accident, now they want to take any pain and suffering money I "might" receive from the final settlement and apply it towards support.

My question is, can they legally take money away from an injury accident? To me it's like taking chemo medicine away from a cancer patient, I mean the money is to go to future rehab right?

I'm so sick of Washington State Child Support getting their noses into every aspect of a person's life, ruining job opportunities, destroying families through welfare, destroying insurability due to lack of money and suspending licenses. Debtor jails in America...isn't that why we left England? What is this world coming to when we take money away from the sick?

Phnx02

wraith said:
What is the name of your state?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: WA STATE recently sent my ex-spouse a letter asking her if she knew when I was involved in an accident. One of the boxes was is the respondent unwilling to tell you? So they are case building already.

It's not enough that I had a boatload of injuries in my accident, now they want to take any pain and suffering money I "might" receive from the final settlement and apply it towards support.

My question is, can they legally take money away from an injury accident? To me it's like taking chemo medicine away from a cancer patient, I mean the money is to go to future rehab right?

I'm so sick of Washington State Child Support getting their noses into every aspect of a person's life, ruining job opportunities, destroying families through welfare, destroying insurability due to lack of money and suspending licenses. Debtor jails in America...isn't that why we left England? What is this world coming to when we take money away from the sick?
I think it would depend on if you are in arrears or not. If you are, then your ex has the right to pursue contempt and claim that you can pay the arrears with the money you now have. If you are current on your support, then I wouldn't think your settlement money can be touched.

nextwife

You know, if the therapy were being paid directly to the provider by the insurer, there would not be a question of his rehab services funds going elsewhere.

AS one who saw firsthand what a difference rehab made in person's ability to begin to function independently, I think it's incredibly counterproductive in the big picture to remove the services that would allow him to be able to return to the workforce and become productive again! If my dad had not had his rehab, he would have needed to remain in a care facility, instead of being able to function and move around independently and even continue to make a more modest living. Whether there is a CS order or not, if the financial provider of a family gets ill, they should be supported, instead of everyone always expecting them to do the supporting, because "stuff happens" and illness and accidents don't care what COs are out there.

And if he therefore doen't get better and return to work, then she will be facing a permanant downward modification to reflect his income producing reality.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Again - it all depends if there are arrears or not. If there are - and he's NOT paying his CS, then tough titties on him. 'Cause rehab ain't gonna make him pay the support anyway.

If there are no arrears - ignore the above.

wraith

Whatever.

Tough titties? What are we in gradeschool again or are we heading to the Grange?

Arrears or no, it seems like a foolish thing to start automatically taking away settlement money when it is assumed it will be for future care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">