• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Baby's mother works a cash job, refuses to pay anything except minimum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

disrupt103

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Running into a little bit of an issue after separation. The wife moved out, leaving me with the child. She refuses to pay any child support and says "good luck collecting".

She works a cash job and I know where she works. Will this be an extremely messy situation, or is there something that protects the custodial parent against something like this? The minimum child support in New York is $25 a week for one child.

justalayman

there is nothing inherently problematic about a "cash" job. There can be a lot of problems with an "under the table" cash job.

If you know where she works, you may have to end up seeking the court issue a subpoena for her employment records to be able to prove income. Unless her employer is willing to lie to a court and state she does not actually work there, you should be able to obtain her income statements.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Running into a little bit of an issue after separation. The wife moved out, leaving me with the child. She refuses to pay any child support and says "good luck collecting".

She works a cash job and I know where she works. Will this be an extremely messy situation, or is there something that protects the custodial parent against something like this? The minimum child support in New York is $25 a week for one child.
You can - and perhaps should - absolutely ask the court to impute her an income equal to at least 40 hours @min. wage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">