• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Arreages Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convula

What is the name of your state? Kentucky, USA

While incarcerated for three years for child support, the ex-girlfriend asked the payee to sign a paper that would change his daughters last name to her now husband. Which they have been married for well over 10 years. The daughter is 19 yrs old now. The daughter does not go to college.
While incarcerated he paid 20.00 a month that the state requires plus another$55.oo which made it 75.00 per month to lower back arreages.

While recently released he has been paying 80.00 per month.
His ex-girlfriend just had him in court again to up the payment of support. Which they said to be back in Januaury 2005 to do a wage assignment.

Is there a Kentucky state law that would say anything about signing over the lastname which is now the ex-girlfrinds husbands name that has been changed for at least 5 years now? Does he still have to pay the back arreages? Would the daughter that carries step-fathers name considered adopted? If so, does the payee still have to pay? Why i ask is because i believe the court does not know that he signed to have her lastname changed to her step-father many years ago for health insurance and other things.

BelizeBreeze

The name issue has nothing to do with child support.

Yes, they can change it, modify it, up or down it or anything else to get it paid off, INCLUDING putting his butt back in jail.

convula

BelizeBreeze said:
The name issue has nothing to do with child support.

Yes, they can change it, modify it, up or down it or anything else to get it paid off, INCLUDING putting his butt back in jail.
everytime he does get a job his ex causes problems with his employers and he loses his job by the time he finds another job it's too late..his butt is in the slammer....

so are you saying since he spent 3 years for back arreages in the first place that it's paid off...or did i miss understand you on this?

Phnx02

Paying only $80 a month in child support is pitiful. Of course now that the father is out of jail and working, the CP should seek an increase. Having the childs' name changed does not equal adoption, and this has no bearing on anything - especially since the ex agreed to it.

Your question "he spent 3 years for back arrearages - does this mean it's paid off?"....does not make sense. Please clarify what your're asking.

LdiJ

convula said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky, USA

While incarcerated for three years for child support, the ex-girlfriend asked the payee to sign a paper that would change his daughters last name to her now husband. Which they have been married for well over 10 years. The daughter is 19 yrs old now. The daughter does not go to college.
While incarcerated he paid 20.00 a month that the state requires plus another$55.oo which made it 75.00 per month to lower back arreages.

While recently released he has been paying 80.00 per month.
His ex-girlfriend just had him in court again to up the payment of support. Which they said to be back in Januaury 2005 to do a wage assignment.

Is there a Kentucky state law that would say anything about signing over the lastname which is now the ex-girlfrinds husbands name that has been changed for at least 5 years now? Does he still have to pay the back arreages? Would the daughter that carries step-fathers name considered adopted? If so, does the payee still have to pay? Why i ask is because i believe the court does not know that he signed to have her lastname changed to her step-father many years ago for health insurance and other things.
Since the daughter is now 19, current child support should have ended. However its possible that he may need to actually petition to end current child support. He needs to check into that with the CS agency.

As far as arrearages are concerned, he will owe what the state shows as the accumulated amount, and that will still have to be paid to the child's mother.

Changing the child's last name does not equal an adoption. Nor would it make any arrearages go away. Those would still have to be paid even if there WAS an adoption.

The reality of the situation is that he is going to continue to have to pay on the arrearages until they are paid off. The faster he gets that done the better off he is going to be. Those arrearages are gaining interest every year.

convula

convula said:
everytime he does get a job his ex causes problems with his employers and he loses his job by the time he finds another job it's too late..his butt is in the slammer....

so are you saying since he spent 3 years for back arreages in the first place that it's paid off...or did i miss understand you on this?
since he served three years with no probation for child support. served his full time. does he still owe the back arreages? i myself do not understand the law.
for the child support owed on the arreages he went to jail on. since he served his time for the arreage does he still have to pay the back arreage?

(if his ex would discontinue trying to get him terminated he could hold a job.)
any company would get tired of calls and letters to the work place

VeronicaGia

This is a question for an attorney in KY who specializes in family law. He also needs to read his court documents regarding his incarceration and arrearages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">