• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDiamond

What is the name of your state? florida

i am 18 yrs. old, i have never met my biological father nor do i know where he lives. he has never paid child support for me, or my brother. i heard that a child who has come of age could sue their parent for back child support, can you tell me what steps i should take.What is the name of your state?

nextwife

Was paternity ever legally established?

Did Mom have a Child Support Order?

Why do you think that, if there is an arrearage, it should go to you, rather than to Mom? Wasn't SHE the one who should be reimbursed for support?

BlackDiamond

when my mom wen't to get a divorce he didn't show up so she was granted legal custody(my mom thinks he didn't show up because he didn't have a green card) the reason i think i should pursue this is because my mom won't she just wants to block that part of her life out but i think he should pay not get off scott free and act as if we don't exist

Neal1421

BlackDiamond said:
when my mom wen't to get a divorce he didn't show up so she was granted legal custody(my mom thinks he didn't show up because he didn't have a green card) the reason i think i should pursue this is because my mom won't she just wants to block that part of her life out but i think he should pay not get off scott free and act as if we don't exist
The money is owed to your mother for raising you, it is not owed to you. If she wishes not to pursue it, there is nothing that you can do.

ceara19

BlackDiamond said:
Your mother doesn't want to persue the matter, you've NEVER even met the man, he was in this country illegally 18 YEARS ago, he didn't show up for the court date and now YOU feel like you deserve the right to sue him for the support he owes your MOM, because YOU think he shouldn't be allowed to get away with it and deserves to be punished?

Even if you could sue him for the money (which you can't), how in the world do you think you are going to be able to find him after all these years even if he IS still in this country?

Have you considered your mom's feelings AT ALL? She busts her a$$ year after year to raise you alone and now you're basically saying that wasn't good enough, she didn't do enough for you as a child, so now you want to go collect from dad? Talk about a slap in the face.

Have a little respect for the woman that raised you and abide by her wishes.

Neal1421

cearaI9 said:
like i said a thousand times on this board.... if you don't like my advice then it's your problem. It's free advice, I never said it was good advice. If you want good advice I would suggest another website. These are my opinons based on what I think about you. I am a senior member I think I know what I'm talking about. This is just invaluable advice I give until my unemployment ends and I get a job, till then I guess you are stuck with me. You are lucky to get my advice in my opinion.
Where in the hell did this come from?

BlackDiamond

My God

i didn't ask for accusations, just a little help.

for your info i appreciate all that my mom has done for us, she does not have to bust her a$$ as you said because i and my 2 siblings and her new husband (of 11 yrs.) have been contributing to the well being of our family (i since i was 7 my brother since he was 8 and my lil sister since she was 11, voluntarily). all i know is what my mom has told me>>he beat her while they were married, he punched her in the stomach when she was pregnant with me, he gave her money for an abortion and told her he has 1 child he doesn't need another, chased her with a knife and she never told a soul but us. she left him and came back home and he followed her my uncles chased him off and she never heard from him again. now from my understanding that deserves restitution. doesn't it?

NotSoNew

BlackDiamond said:

for your info i appreciate all that my mom has done for us, she does not have to bust her a$$ as you said because i and my 2 siblings and her new husband (of 11 yrs.) have been contributing to the well being of our family (i since i was 7 my brother since he was 8 and my lil sister since she was 11, voluntarily). all i know is what my mom has told me>>he beat her while they were married, he punched her in the stomach when she was pregnant with me, he gave her money for an abortion and told her he has 1 child he doesn't need another, chased her with a knife and she never told a soul but us. she left him and came back home and he followed her my uncles chased him off and she never heard from him again. now from my understanding that deserves restitution. doesn't it?
perhaps but its for your MOTHER to take care of, you can not.

Silverplum

BlackDiamond said:

The help is available by running a simple search on this site, as you agreed to do when you signed up. Had you done so, you would have found a thousand answers, all the same: NO. :rolleyes:

And furthermore, your mother should never have told you such stories about your father -- what was she thinking, that it would HELP you to hear these things??? :eek:

Blackdiamond...
If your bio dad did all of those things... & your mom doesn't want any further dealings w/ him... why would you put the mom that you respect so much back in a possibly dangerous situation? You have no idea what kind of trouble you might be inviting into your life if you ever even tried to track him down. Think long & hard before you make a decision to face this person & try to make him pay. Is it really worth it?

BlackDiamond

don't get mewrong i love my mom i would give everything i have to her beg and borrow to give her anything she wantS. SHE HAS DONE A SPECTACULAR JOB raising us this i know i owe all of my success to her upbringing , but i don't like having a part of my life taken from me i can't help but think that if we had a support order when we were small we wouldn't have had to work so hard. that was my whole thing the money wasn't for just me we all deserve it.

BlackDiamond

by the way

while i was in college a woman came to speak to our class about domestic violence and she told us that her 22 yr old daughter took her bio dad to court and won:confused: shouldn't i be able to do the same thing

Silverplum

BlackDiamond said:
don't get mewrong i love my mom i would give everything i have to her beg and borrow to give her anything she wantS. SHE HAS DONE A SPECTACULAR JOB raising us this i know i owe all of my success to her upbringing , but i don't like having a part of my life taken from me i can't help but think that if we had a support order when we were small we wouldn't have had to work so hard. that was my whole thing the money wasn't for just me we all deserve it.
Great. Glad to hear it.

The legal reality is that you are not a party to any support order and have no legal means of enforcing someone else's support order, even if you are related. Period.

Neal1421

BlackDiamond said:
while i was in college a woman came to speak to our class about domestic violence and she told us that her 22 yr old daughter took her bio dad to court and won:confused: shouldn't i be able to do the same thing
We don't know the facts of her case. Based on what you have posted in regards to yours, no you wouldn't be entitled to any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">