• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mom3x2000

I live in OR and receive child support from my dd father who lives in ID. At this time he is making regular payments and still has a large amount due in back support. Is it possible to amend the order so that he pays past her 18th birthday in order to alleviate the past due amount? Thanks for any information.

Neal1421

Mom3x2000 said:
I live in OR and receive child support from my dd father who lives in ID. At this time he is making regular payments and still has a large amount due in back support. Is it possible to amend the order so that he pays past her 18th birthday in order to alleviate the past due amount? Thanks for any information.
If he is in arrears after the child turns 18, he will still have to continue paying until the arrears are paid off unless you forgive them. There is no need to amend the order.

N

nicetryadmin

Mom3x2000 said:
No, but keep in mind that when a modification is filed to emancipate the child, the order will simply reflect a montly amount to be paid to address the arrearage. That amended order very likely could result in a lesser amount.

Mom3x2000

Neal1421 said:
If he is in arrears after the child turns 18, he will still have to continue paying until the arrears are paid off unless you forgive them. There is no need to amend the order.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my intentions. He is asking me to 'forgive' the back support so that he can get his driver's license. Since I am not willing to do that, I was wondering if there's another way to take the backpay and 'put it on the end', if that makes sense. That way he can get his license and my dd doesn't lose out on any income she could get to help with college. Any suggestions would be welcome.
I'd also like information on if I need to do anything to see if his tax return, if any, will be intercepted.
Thanks.

Gracie3787

Mom3x2000 said:
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my intentions. He is asking me to 'forgive' the back support so that he can get his driver's license. Since I am not willing to do that, I was wondering if there's another way to take the backpay and 'put it on the end', if that makes sense. That way he can get his license and my dd doesn't lose out on any income she could get to help with college. Any suggestions would be welcome.
I'd also like information on if I need to do anything to see if his tax return, if any, will be intercepted.
Thanks.
Is he making regular CS payments and also paying toward arrears? If he is, to get his DL reinstated, all he has to do is contact the CS agency, show that he's paying and they will give him a paper that will allow it to be reinststed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">