• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yonkerguy

What is the name of your state? NY

For several months last year my wife was on public assistance even though I was giving her money. Now the court wants me to pay $5,500 or they will take my license. I used to pay her cash so I have no records.

I am self employed and they are asking for tax returns and pay stubs neither of which I have right now so they can figure a payment plan.

I have no idea what to do? I don't get pay stubs and my tax returns are not ready.

Any ideas what I can do here?

BL

yonkerguy said:
What is the name of your state? NY

For several months last year my wife was on public assistance even though I was giving her money. Now the court wants me to pay $5,500 or they will take my license. I used to pay her cash so I have no records.

I am self employed and they are asking for tax returns and pay stubs neither of which I have right now so they can figure a payment plan.

I have no idea what to do? I don't get pay stubs and my tax returns are not ready.

Any ideas what I can do here?
You give them as much information as you can.

Last years tax returns , invoices ,Etc .anything that shows income you HAVE been receiving .

Cash payments to the CP are considered gifts .

Sorry , you have to pay , and if you don't your license WILL be suspended , and to avoid this , you should find a way to pay it off in FULL .

Is it the court or the state that is going after you? Do you already have a court order in place? Or is it just an agreement between the two of you? If she went to the state for assistance, didn't she have to provide the state with all sources of income when she applied for assistance? That should have gotten the state involved with the collection of child support. I know in my state, if you apply for assistance, they will not give anything until all forms of income possible are addressed; my state will start procedings for collecting child support if it is not already being collected. They will then take over the collection if it is going direct between the parents.

I would check into that if I were you, there may be an issue of fraud if she did not divulge the child support information to the state. I don't know if you would still be responsible for it or not. If you did not have any order in place, and it was just between the two of you, I think that you will be out of luck. Whenever you make a payment, you want to be sure that you pay by a method that can be traced - either a check (you can get a copy of the canceled check) or a money order (you keep the receipt). You also want to specify on the payment that it is for child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">