• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikeallguard

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Good afternoon: I am currently separated Not legally for the last 6 months. I have 3 children and have given my wife the amount of support the state would require if we where divorced, to try and avoid paying any back child support. However 6 years and 2 children ago we where separated for a while when living in Nebraska. The stated placed a child support order on me when she went and applied for assistance. We soon after got back together but the state would not stop the child support order until it was paid off. I was never able to pay the full amount so it kept building up. She finally stopped the accruement of the amount but there is still a past due amount. Now that we are going through a divorce am I obligated to pay the past due amount even though I was taking care of her and our children at the time the support was accruing.What is the name of your state?

NotSoNew

yes you are still obligated to pay that amount

and regardless of what you are paying her now (without an order) if they are going to order back support you will still be required to pay it, what you are paying her now is considered a gift and would not count towards back support.

VeronicaGia

So your best bet right now is to pay thru CSE the arrears you owe, that way there is a record of the money being paid, she is being paid and your kids are taken care of. Also, this way the kids are still getting money. Never give her money directly, the court considers it a gift.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">