• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clarkmackey

Mississippi. I owe back child support. All my kids are grown, the youngest child is 25 years old. I have given money to the children during their growing up. I am 59 years old and am receiving disability. How can I get back child support removed. I am not currently paying.

CalifAttyIAAL

clarkmackey said:
Mississippi. I owe back child support. All my kids are grown, the youngest child is 25 years old. I have given money to the children during their growing up. I am 59 years old and am receiving disability. How can I get back child support removed. I am not currently paying.

My response:

As you've discovered, child support arrearages never disappear. The debt, regardless of the children's ages, will follow you to your grave, and beyond; e.g., your Estate can be attacked for the amount, plus interest, still owing.

If the mother of your children decides to take you back to court on charges of Contempt of Court, you could be spending a lot of your "golden years" behind bars.

The only way to "get back child support removed" is if you DO NOT owe any State, and only if the money was paid directly to her, and she signs an agreement. Beyond that, you will continue to owe the money.

IAAL

AHA

clarkmackey said:
How many debts in life are "removed", you think? You have to pay what you owe regardless of what the debt is for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">