• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buckeyenut

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Well, I was discharged from the military in July 2009. The only job that I could find at the time required me to relocate from the area. Prior to me relocating I tried to work out an agreement with my ex wife about visitation & child support for our two boys. We could not come to an agreement prior to me leaving the state. She filed through the court for a modification of visitation and asked for child support. We finally came to an agreement in Dec 2009. The agreement stated that I would pay back child support from July 2009- Dec 2009 and attorney fees. Each month I would pay an additional $400 ($200 to arrearages and $200 toward attorney fees till paid off) on top of the child support, which I have. At the same time the agreement was sign an income deduction order was signed. The Judgment Order that was sign had a statement in there that I was to pay her the money directly till the income deduction order took effect and she was to report it the clerk of courts and child support enforcement.

Now fast forward 19 months. I have since moved back to the local area. The ex wife turns the case over to Florida Child Support Enforcement (CSE) to monitor. I'm now receiving letters from the CSE stating that I'm behind in child support and they are looking to put liens on any and all property and suspend any passport and driver license if not paid up in 30 days. I have tried to resolve the issue by taking the canceled checks down to the clerk of courts and visiting the local CSE office with no luck. They keep telling that they can't do anything and that I'm going to have to back to court to get it resolved.

By my records, I'm current and actually a head a few hundred dollars. I have all the canceled checks and bank statements to prove it but no one will listen.

If I do decide to go back to court, do I file a motion of contempt or a motion of modification of child support?

Any help?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Well, I was discharged from the military in July 2009. The only job that I could find at the time required me to relocate from the area. Prior to me relocating I tried to work out an agreement with my ex wife about visitation & child support for our two boys. We could not come to an agreement prior to me leaving the state. She filed through the court for a modification of visitation and asked for child support. We finally came to an agreement in Dec 2009. The agreement stated that I would pay back child support from July 2009- Dec 2009 and attorney fees. Each month I would pay an additional $400 ($200 to arrearages and $200 toward attorney fees till paid off) on top of the child support, which I have. At the same time the agreement was sign an income deduction order was signed. The Judgment Order that was sign had a statement in there that I was to pay her the money directly till the income deduction order took effect and she was to report it the clerk of courts and child support enforcement.

Now fast forward 19 months. I have since moved back to the local area. The ex wife turns the case over to Florida Child Support Enforcement (CSE) to monitor. I'm now receiving letters from the CSE stating that I'm behind in child support and they are looking to put liens on any and all property and suspend any passport and driver license if not paid up in 30 days. I have tried to resolve the issue by taking the canceled checks down to the clerk of courts and visiting the local CSE office with no luck. They keep telling that they can't do anything and that I'm going to have to back to court to get it resolved.

By my records, I'm current and actually a head a few hundred dollars. I have all the canceled checks and bank statements to prove it but no one will listen.

If I do decide to go back to court, do I file a motion of contempt or a motion of modification of child support?

Any help?
First thing I would try is go back to CSE and ask to speak to a supervisor. Bring copies of your evidence.

If that doesn't work, I would go to court to ask for a modification (but run your state's calculator first because you might get a nasty surprise).

Buckeyenut

I'm planning on going back to CSE today with print outs of copied checks and bank statements. I'm also bringing the screen shot of the MyFloridaCounty website that I have paid through.

Now as far as going back to court, I don't care if I have to pay a few more dollars for child support each month I just don't want to have to pay the same thing twice.

I'm going to go through the courts anyways and ask for a modification of time-sharing since I have moved back to the local area. So I guess I will need to request a modification of child support at that time also.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">