• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaylor69

Louisiana,
My current husband is from Louisiana, and we now live in MN. He had a child with a woman 6 years ago. She waited 5 years to go to the courts to request child support. When she did, my husband was automatically placed into arrears for the 5 years that he did not pay. I am trying to figure out how they can do this?

Silverplum

Louisiana,
My current husband is from Louisiana, and we now live in MN. He had a child with a woman 6 years ago. She waited 5 years to go to the courts to request child support. When she did, my husband was automatically placed into arrears for the 5 years that he did not pay. I am trying to figure out how they can do this?
I don't know. It's very likely all contained within his legal paperwork.

CSO286

Louisiana,
Somes states allow for arrears to be built back to birth, some to date of filing. It would then be my educated guess that LA allows for them to be built back to birth. I know South Dakota allows for arrears to go back at least three years.

Did he know she had a child? Did he know it could possibly be his?

Sex can lead to babies. If he wanted to endure that any ex GF, or one night stand not be able to come back months or years later for child support, he had one of several options available to him:

1. Not have sex in the first place.
2. Use a condom (or more than one.)
3. Get snipped.

'Cause you know what? Women lie. They say they are fixed/on the pill/the shot/can't have kids, when they just might be Fertile Myrtle**************

(Of course, guys lie too......"the measles took care of my little swimmers..." :rolleyes:)

CSO286

As far as I can see, there is nothing in his paperwork that states why he was placed in arrears.
Uhh.....it would be addressed. Trust me. There 's some kind of paragraph that says something like "Judgment for a bazillion dollars for child support arrearages dating back to birth of child, based on respondent/Father's abilty to provide for said child."

Were Mom and child ever on public assistance?

Silverplum

Uhh.....it would be addressed. Trust me. There 's some kind of paragraph that says something like "Judgment for a bazillion dollars for child support arrearages dating back to birth of child, based on respondent/Father's abilty to provide for said child."
Yup.

CSO286 said:
Were Mom and child ever on public assistance?
Oooh, I forgot that one. Another good reason why the back support.

Jaylor69

Not sure if she was ever on public assistance, would need to check. I will look for the paragraph that says that he owes arrears back to birth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">