• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fullofgrace58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia. Can I sue for back child support if Child Support Enforcement is involved in the case?

fullofgrace58

The other parent is almost 4,000 in arrears. Child support enforcement has not "enforced" anything to help in the situation.

Silverplum

The other parent is almost 4,000 in arrears. Child support enforcement has not "enforced" anything to help in the situation.
MORE details are needed, and a correction: The type of CS you are asking about is "arrears," if it is court ordered and unpaid.

"Back" CS is not court-ordered.

So, you have a court order for CS? And it is unpaid to the amount of $4K? And you do not feel that CSE is working hard on your case?

IF all that is correct, you are asking if you can "sue" for the arrears?

IF I'm right so far, then the answer is no. You've already sued. The arrears are accumulating.

The thing for you to do is hire a PI to find the (non)Payor, so you can have his/her wages garnished.

LdiJ

MORE details are needed, and a correction: The type of CS you are asking about is "arrears," if it is court ordered and unpaid.

"Back" CS is not court-ordered.

So, you have a court order for CS? And it is unpaid to the amount of $4K? And you do not feel that CSE is working hard on your case?

IF all that is correct, you are asking if you can "sue" for the arrears?

IF I'm right so far, then the answer is no. You've already sued. The arrears are accumulating.

The thing for you to do is hire a PI to find the (non)Payor, so you can have his/her wages garnished.
I disagree slightly. The OP does have the option of going around the CSE and filing for contempt herself for the non-payment of the arrears. That often isn't any more productive than letting the CSE handle it, and costs more, but on the rare occasion it could produce better results.

Silverplum

I disagree slightly. The OP does have the option of going around the CSE and filing for contempt herself for the non-payment of the arrears. That often isn't any more productive than letting the CSE handle it, and costs more, but on the rare occasion it could produce better results.
Yes, she can file contempt.

But her question was, can she SUE.

Then she took off. I'm not wasting more time on this nonsense and this poster, who can't be bothered to stick around and deal with his/her thread, much less write a clear and understandable post. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">