• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support in MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweener24

MA

My husband has two children, both of whom now live with us. They are 14 and 16. Ten years ago he was ordered to pay $650/week in child support. Yes a WEEK. Seven years ago his ex-wife filed a contempt charge because he wasn't paying that figure because he had lost his job and was underemployed. The entire time he was not working and underemployed he was paying her according to MA Child Support guidelines. He "cleared" it verbally with his ex-wife's attorney but no official documents changed hands.

Fast forward to January of this year. Both kids are now living with us and we need to get physical custody of them to register them for school. She sees this as an opportunity to make good on the contempt charge for back child support after waiting for seven years and not doing anything. She's suing him for $130,000 in back support.

This woman has done nothing in 16 years to support her children. She is capable of working but chooses not to. Instead she stands there with her hand out taking from anyone who will give. And she owns her own home. How rich is that?

Anyway, what are her chances of getting this money? I am absolutely sick over this entire thing and if I have to think of her getting a penny, I might just go insane.

Antigone*

MA

My husband has two children, both of whom now live with us. They are 14 and 16. Ten years ago he was ordered to pay $650/week in child support. Yes a WEEK. Seven years ago his ex-wife filed a contempt charge because he wasn't paying that figure because he had lost his job and was underemployed. The entire time he was not working and underemployed he was paying her according to MA Child Support guidelines. He "cleared" it verbally with his ex-wife's attorney but no official documents changed hands.

Fast forward to January of this year. Both kids are now living with us and we need to get physical custody of them to register them for school. She sees this as an opportunity to make good on the contempt charge for back child support after waiting for seven years and not doing anything. She's suing him for $130,000 in back support.

This woman has done nothing in 16 years to support her children. She is capable of working but chooses not to. Instead she stands there with her hand out taking from anyone who will give. And she owns her own home. How rich is that?

Anyway, what are her chances of getting this money? I am absolutely sick over this entire thing and if I have to think of her getting a penny, I might just go insane.
She has every right to the back support that was ordered. For how long have the children been living with their father?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Then book your room at the local psych unit. :rolleyes:

If Dad did not file anything with the court when he first lost his job, he owes the money. Letters to attorneys don't count. There has to be a court order changing what he pays in CS.

And he owes.

Antigone*

Then book your room at the local psych unit. :rolleyes:

If Dad did not file anything with the court when he first lost his job, he owes the money. Letters to attorneys don't count. There has to be a court order changing what he pays in CS.

And he owes.
And he is still owing today...;)

CSO286

While you may be feeling sick over this, it's really not an issue you have to deal with.

If Dad were bothered by the situtation, there are steps he could take to rectify things on an ongoing, NOT retroactive, basis.

sweener24

Well I guess we're just going to have to wait and see. According to others I have spoken with the mother was sent packing because she was spiteful. Hopefully it turns out that way because this is a game changer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antigone*

Well I guess we're just going to have to wait and see. According to others I have spoken with the mother was sent packing because she was spiteful. Hopefully it turns out that way because this is a game changer.
Stuff like that happens with you marry a man children from another mother.

Reserve that room;). You are going to need it.

sweener24

At the hearing last week he officially no longer has to pay child support. No way any judge in their right mind is going to make him pay this money. No way.

CSO286

And were was Mom "sent packing" from/to?

Dad still owes the money. Nothing will change that game.

CSO286

At the hearing last week he officially no longer has to pay child support. No way any judge in their right mind is going to make him pay this money. No way.

Of course, any judge who follows the rule of law is going ot endure that Mom recieves the money Dad owes her.

The arrears DON'T go away.

Sorry.

Ain't gonna happen.

Dad could have filed WITH THE COURT for a downward modification at the time of his unemployment, but since he didn't do that, he basically said to the court that he was ok with the amount ordered.

Last edited:

Antigone*

That is what you think. The judges order is going forward, all the back support is legally due mom.

sweener24

Ok, thanks everyone. Clearly you are all man-haters and burned by your exes. Keep your hands out and keep playing the victim. I'll go get advice from a lawyer. Ugh.

Antigone*

Ok, thanks everyone. Clearly you are all man-haters and burned by your exes. Keep your hands out and keep playing the victim. I'll go get advice from a lawyer. Ugh.
A lawyer will do nothing for YOU step mom, except send YOU packing.;)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Who will tell you the same thing.... except LEGALLY, this is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS (which you will come to find out). :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">