• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back child support and refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rollin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I live in New York and child support for N.C. comes out of my check everyweek.....98 for cs and 10 bucks for arrears.....I am wondering if they will take my Federal refund from me even thou I am paying the back support as the court order states....?? I owe 5,700 dollars. Thank you in advance for any answers.

CourtClerk

You'll need to contact CSE and ask them. Some states will file for an intercept whenever there is an arrearage (as they should).

truebluemd

CC is correct. Some states, like mine, have a threshold (either based on amount owed or number of months behind) that automatically notifies IRS when the IRS refund gets intercepted.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I live in New York and child support for N.C. comes out of my check everyweek.....98 for cs and 10 bucks for arrears.....I am wondering if they will take my Federal refund from me even thou I am paying the back support as the court order states....?? I owe 5,700 dollars. Thank you in advance for any answers.
In addition to asking the CSE, after you file your return there is a place on the IRS website where you can find out the status of your refund. If it has been intercepted, the IRS site will tell you that it has been. This way you can find out before they send you the notice of intercept.

BL

Yes , your taxes will be intercepted , unless they miss it .

Your State as well , unless they miss it .

I doubt they will though .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">