• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is back child support still paid after the custodial parent dies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rinsmom

California

Hello,

My father did not pay child support for my brother and I all of our lives. Child Support Services finally caught up with him and garnished his social security check. My mother then received a check for $169 every month.

My mother passed suddenly and I am curious as to whether the child support payments that were made to her are now void, because she has passed, or if they would still be owed to her estate or, rather, us, her adult children.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks so much for any help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
California

Hello,

My father did not pay child support for my brother and I all of our lives. Child Support Services finally caught up with him and garnished his social security check. My mother then received a check for $169 every month.

My mother passed suddenly and I am curious as to whether the child support payments that were made to her are now void, because she has passed, or if they would still be owed to her estate or, rather, us, her adult children.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks so much for any help.
The child support payments should be paid to her estate until the arrears are fully paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">