• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Pay for Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maddeemarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My daughter is 11 years old and i want to try and apply for child support. Her dad has not been in her life for the last 6 years and my question is:

If I go to court am I able to file for child support and get back pay for the last 6 years he has been absent? Also if I file for child support, does that mean he automatically gets to have visitation? And if i file for full custody of my daughter, can i still receive child support?

Silverplum

My daughter is 11 years old and i want to try and apply for child support. Her dad has not been in her life for the last 6 years and my question is:

If I go to court am I able to file for child support and get back pay for the last 6 years he has been absent?
No. It goes back to the date you filed, if ordered.

maddeemarie said:
Also if I file for child support, does that mean he automatically gets to have visitation? And if i file for full custody of my daughter, can i still receive child support?
No. Parenting time is separate.
Yes. But he could still have parenting time if you had "full custody."

Eekamouse

If I go to court am I able to file for child support and get back pay for the last 6 years he has been absent? Also if I file for child support, does that mean he automatically gets to have visitation? And if i file for full custody of my daughter, can i still receive child support?
Cute. You want his money but not his presence in his child's life. :rolleyes:

maddeemarie

Cute. You want his money but not his presence in his child's life. :rolleyes:
Actually he removed himself from her life for quite a few years now. I don't see why he should be given that privilege just because he is required take some type of responsibility for her now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually he removed himself from her life for quite a few years now. I don't see why he should be given that privilege just because he is required take some type of responsibility for her now.
Because he's her father.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yet you didn't ask for child support for all this time and you expect him to pay all that back time. A bit hypocritical of you, isn't it? (Yes, why yes it is.)

Just Blue

Who LEFT her. His choice.
Did he? |Or did he leave you and your bitter, nasty attitude made visitation difficult to impossible?

You might want to consider that children that grow up with TWO parents have a much higher success rate. 11 is NOT too late for them to have a close and loving relationship...You have the choice of either helping that to happen or hinder it from happening. Your daughter WILL end up Judging your actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">