+ Reply to Thread
    stajay2000 is offline Junior Member

Question Back pay of child support when terminated rights

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Can I still fight my ex-husband for child support even though he terminated his rights to our son. He terminated his rights during our divorce in 1992, but I have heard that admendments have been made to where he is still responsible for the child support. If that is the case, what is my next step?
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stajay2000 View Post

Can I still fight my ex-husband for child support even though he terminated his rights to our son. He terminated his rights during our divorce in 1992, but I have heard that admendments have been made to where he is still responsible for the child support. If that is the case, what is my next step?
    Why on earth should your ex be responsible for support of a child that is not his? He is not the father anymore.

Why did you allow him to terminate his rights if you still want support? And why are you complaining now after 15 years??
    fairisfair is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stajay2000 View Post

are you sure you are talking about terminating his rights? or do you mean that he doesn't have visitation? generally, a termination of parental rights is a completely separate court proceeding. It is NOT usually a part of a divorce. I think you may be confused.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Poster, you DO understand that "terminating rights" means ceasing to be the legal parent to a child? Is that what happened? When my daughter's bioparents terminated their rights, they were no longer her parents. I, not they, are now responsibible for her as they are not her parents anymore.

Is that what you meant to say happened?
    MrsK is offline Senior Member
    And why do you think you are entitled to support for this child? Talk about greedy.
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    I think we have a K-DAR here...
    moburkes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baystategirl View Post
    I think we have a K-DAR here...
    I don't think so. I think she is just a hugely misguided individual who needs some extra money and is thinking of some super crazy, off the wall, ain't gonna happen S*IT to get it.
    My new signature:
    Originally Posted by arazi
    I'll take you on one-to-one in a volcabulary test anywhere, anyplace, anytime.