• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back pay of child support when terminated rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stajay2000

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Can I still fight my ex-husband for child support even though he terminated his rights to our son. He terminated his rights during our divorce in 1992, but I have heard that admendments have been made to where he is still responsible for the child support. If that is the case, what is my next step?

Just Blue

Can I still fight my ex-husband for child support even though he terminated his rights to our son. He terminated his rights during our divorce in 1992, but I have heard that admendments have been made to where he is still responsible for the child support. If that is the case, what is my next step?
Why on earth should your ex be responsible for support of a child that is not his? He is not the father anymore.

Why did you allow him to terminate his rights if you still want support? And why are you complaining now after 15 years??

fairisfair

are you sure you are talking about terminating his rights? or do you mean that he doesn't have visitation? generally, a termination of parental rights is a completely separate court proceeding. It is NOT usually a part of a divorce. I think you may be confused.

nextwife

Poster, you DO understand that "terminating rights" means ceasing to be the legal parent to a child? Is that what happened? When my daughter's bioparents terminated their rights, they were no longer her parents. I, not they, are now responsibible for her as they are not her parents anymore.

Is that what you meant to say happened?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">