• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coachneubs

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My ex-wife and I were awarded joint custody with her maintaining residential support. After a year, we knew our daughter would eventually choose to live with me. I thought my ex and I had a mutual agreement that I wouldn't pay anymore child support nor ask for any when the daughter came to live with me. We did not go to court to change any documentation. Eventually the daughter(after 6 years) came to live with me. After I remarried (12 years post divorce) my ex became enraged and sued me for back support which she has received. Has anyone ever successfully gone back and sued their ex for support that was not in the divorce decree? The child lived with me for over 4 years. Because we did not get our original decree amended, do I have any legal recourse for getting child support in this matter?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Unless you got the court order requiring child support amended you were required to keep paying. By not doing so you are in contempt. Also your daughter did NOT have a right to choose to live with you. You owe the support dictated in the support order when you got a divorce if you never went back to get it changed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">