• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back support no petition ever filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmied

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I am trying to get something clarified. The mother and myself have never filed a petition with any court for our child.

I have paid money to the mother that she is now choosing to call a "gift"

So what does filing the petition have to do with determining back support? Our daughter is now 15. There is an Oregon statute that reads something like...back support is determined back to when you knew or should have know the child was yours. Is filing a petition going to open up 15 years past due back support or is filing a petition going to set the limitations to back support?

I tried to get along with the mother for sometime now. I have acknowledged her wishes and paid money since she contacted me a few years ago, but now I don't have any rights technically and my child suport really wasn't child support at all. I am going to file a petition so that the courts will recognize me as the father.

How far back will they determine back support in my situation? No one has filed a petition. I am going to file in January. And I did a DNA when my daughter was 12. We then came to a mutual agreement and nothing went to the courts. Not even the DNA part. Now the agreement we had was a lie and I want my parenting time promised. I just need the courage to move forward.

LdiJ

pmied said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

I am trying to get something clarified. The mother and myself have never filed a petition with any court for our child.

I have paid money to the mother that she is now choosing to call a "gift"

So what does filing the petition have to do with determining back support? Our daughter is now 15. There is an Oregon statute that reads something like...back support is determined back to when you knew or should have know the child was yours. Is filing a petition going to open up 15 years past due back support or is filing a petition going to set the limitations to back support?

I tried to get along with the mother for sometime now. I have acknowledged her wishes and paid money since she contacted me a few years ago, but now I don't have any rights technically and my child suport really wasn't child support at all. I am going to file a petition so that the courts will recognize me as the father.

How far back will they determine back support in my situation? No one has filed a petition. I am going to file in January. And I did a DNA when my daughter was 12. We then came to a mutual agreement and nothing went to the courts. Not even the DNA part. Now the agreement we had was a lie and I want my parenting time promised. I just need the courage to move forward.
In general back support only goes back to the date that a petition for support is first filed. However since it sounds like Oregon law may allow something different, then I hope you made your payments regularly and consistantly and have documentation proving the payments (like cancelled checks).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">