• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back support to pay back TANF

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monicaC12270

What is the name of your state? indiana
My ex-husband recently got his home refinanced and put his (approx) $10,000 in back support on the loan. The court has been paid, but I haven't received anything. The only phone number I have to access any info is an automated system, and it doesn't tell me anything. I live out of town, and the clerk's office where my child support case is wont discuss my case with me over the phone. This leaves me with very little access to ANY information. I received welfare benefits for about 7 months last year during a period of extreme hardship. Now, I know that back support goes to pay back the TANF I received, however, I know I don't owe more than $1000. The problem is that the Indiana welfare system can't seem to figure out who owes what. One week they'll be taking part of my child support to pay back TANF, and then three months down the line they'll send me a check for the overflow that they accidentally kept. Then, a month after that, they'll start keeping child support again. BUT WAIT A SECOND! I THOUGHT THERE WAS OVERFLOW! HOW CAN I STILL OWE FOR TANF? Blah, blah, blah... I'm sure every bit of TANF I received has been payed back, but I'm afraid they will keep this whole dang check my ex's finance company took in, anyway. Don't I have a right to see some numbers? Some figure the welfare system is working from? I can't get anywhere with the case worker I had. He says he doesn't know anything about that. What I really want to know is, since I took welfare benefits for a short time in my life, am I doomed to having them screw with my child support until I don't receive child support anymore? If I'm not, what can I do to fight this thing? The clerk's office won't even give me a number to call so that I may speak with an actual living, breathing human. The only number they claim to have is the number that has the automated service, (the number I already have). So, not only do they keep my money(the share of supporting our daughter that I covered for my ex every week when he went dead-beat), but they are doing it without having to provide any proof or documentation for why they are keeping it, and apparently, folks like me aren't allowed to inquire as to where this money went, or how much is being kept from me. They've intercepted thousands of dollars in tax returns of my ex's, none of which I have ever seen. I mean, he hasn't seen a tax return in like 4 years, each of which was for about $3000. I want to know where all this money has been, and is going, but nobody will tell me. They act like I don't have a right to know such things...HMPH! :confused:

tigger22472

What county are you dealing with? I've dealt with several in Indiana. I know of at least ONE that you can access through e-mail and I get better results and more answers dealing that way then sitting on the phone forever waiting to talk to someone.

The way I understand it is that if he started paying they would keep a portion of the money.. however with that large amount coming I think they would keep all owed but then again I don't know. All counties here work differently. If you call 1-800-840-8757 that is the Indiana Child support division. They even have a thing on there to tell you how to contact when you're having problems. You might want to start there.

VeronicaGia

Find out of you can request an audit of the child support payments. If not, find out if your ex can request one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">