• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backed Childs Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

softballmj15

I am 19 years old and my father owes backed child's support and interest with at total of nearly $51,000 for my sister and me. My mom and him divorced when I was about 1 and I just met him for the first time when I was in the 8th grade. He has rarely been in my life. Even now that I just had my daughter he still acts like I don't exist. After him and my mom divorced, he moved to WV, married and had another child, then moved to Florida. Every time Social Services finds him, they send papers and he just moves! He works in the construction and side-job field so that he doesn't have to file taxes because he knows the money will come to my mom. I really need help in what to do with this situation. I heard in Va, a child 18 and older can take their mom/dad to court to obtain child's support, but I don't know how it works if he lives in a different state.

Mandi.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is already a child support case in place. It is between your mom and your dad. Your dad owes you nothing. Your dad owes your mom money.

You have no dog in this fight.

CSO286

I am 19 years old and my father owes backed child's support and interest with at total of nearly $51,000 for my sister and me. My mom and him divorced when I was about 1 and I just met him for the first time when I was in the 8th grade. He has rarely been in my life. Even now that I just had my daughter he still acts like I don't exist. After him and my mom divorced, he moved to WV, married and had another child, then moved to Florida. Every time Social Services finds him, they send papers and he just moves! He works in the construction and side-job field so that he doesn't have to file taxes because he knows the money will come to my mom. I really need help in what to do with this situation. I heard in Va, a child 18 and older can take their mom/dad to court to obtain child's support, but I don't know how it works if he lives in a different state.

Mandi.
That would be incorrect, support is only owed to the custodial parent/guardian, never (well very, very rarely) to the child.

Did you have a legal question?

CSO286

The support is meant to reinburse Mom for the money she spend raising you and your sibling. Why would it be owed to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">