• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Levy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mspjay

California
My soon to be ex-husband is in the arrears for about $90,000 and told my attorney that the District Attorney froze his checking account about 2 months ago. He claims they froze about $2000.00. As of today, I have not received the money. What is the process time? Does it take a long time to receive money once the D.A. seizes funds from a bank account?

Last edited:

mspjay

We were married prevously and divorced for 12 years. We remarried recently, but when we seperated and the child support case was reopened..the D.A also reinstated the arrears.

Tayla

I remain open to corrections, but is it not the judge or by court order that an account can be frozen? My bank has clear rulings on when accounts are frozen and how. Never read that a D.A has that authority without a signature from a judge/magistrate.

CSO286

And CSED can do it administratively....
I'm unsure of the timelines, I do remember something about the money having to be held for at least 45 days-longer if the account holder fights the levy.
I will look more tomorrow. Hard to research on the DROID.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">