• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Levy on Back child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markur

What is the name of your state? California

I have had my account frozen. I recently got a new job, but for 2 months I was unable to make my child support/back support payment. I had just gotten to the point where I was able to make a payment of $801.00 (incl $250.00 for back child support).
The had notified me that my wages would be garnished which was fine with me.
All of a suddent an account that I had setup for rent and other bills was totally frozen. I had no access to the funds. Checks that I wrote on bounced causing over $100.00 in fees. $2000 is in the account of which they plan to take on March 21st. I tried to work through the State of california Child support system that it was deferred to by my Local Sonoma county and so it was out of the local agencies hands. I gave them all bills, statements to see what arrangement I could make with them, but They determed upon that they would still take my $2,000 and want an additional $500.00 on top of my $801.00 support order to payoff arrears. Seems crazy, since the amount they are taking more than covers the amount that I had been unable to pay and I had my wage garnishment setup. Is there anything I can do?
An injunction to stop them taking my money out of my account? Just feels like they have more power than the IRS? I get no notice until 5 days later so every $2.00 coffee I get on my ATM gets a $39.00 overdraught fee. Even the local agency feels that they have overbearing power and that surprised no one has sued them.
Just want a fair resolution. I have tax refund coming that should pay down some others, just don't like the power they seem to hold over me. Making me wonder where I can deposit my money in safety.

Any thoughts would be Most helpful.

Mark in Napa, California

Last edited:

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? California

I have had my account frozen. I recently got a new job, but for 2 months I was unable to make my child support/back support payment. I had just gotten to the point where I was able to make a payment of $801.00 (incl $250.00 for back child support).
The had notified me that my wages would be garnished which was fine with me.
All of a suddent an account that I had setup for rent and other bills was totally frozen. I had no access to the funds. Checks that I wrote on bounced causing over $100.00 in fees. $2000 is in the account of which they plan to take on March 21st. I tried to work through the State of california Child support system that it was deferred to by my Local Sonoma county and so it was out of the local agencies hands. I gave them all bills, statements to see what arrangement I could make with them, but They determed upon that they would still take my $2,000 and want an additional $500.00 on top of my $801.00 support order to payoff arrears. Seems crazy, since the amount they are taking more than covers the amount that I had been unable to pay and I had my wage garnishment setup. Is there anything I can do?
An injunction to stop them taking my money out of my account? Just feels like they have more power than the IRS? I get no notice until 5 days later so every $2.00 coffee I get on my ATM gets a $39.00 overdraught fee. Even the local agency feels that they have overbearing power and that surprised no one has sued them.
Just want a fair resolution. I have tax refund coming that should pay down some others, just don't like the power they seem to hold over me. Making me wonder where I can deposit my money in safety.

Any thoughts would be Most helpful.

Mark in Napa, California

First of all remove your email address, it is against the TOS and no one is going to email you.

Last edited:

markur

Child Support State Froze Back account? Help!

Sorry, I should have ready more closely. I edited. I'm new to the forum

markur

I edited my Posting

But now your reply quoted mine. I don't know how to edit that? If its even possible?

Mark

fairisfair

Okay, I am not even sure what your question is.

If it is can they do this?? the answer is, of course they can.

As for where to deposit your money, the answer would probably be. . . . nowhere. I would cash my checks and buy money orders to pay bills until you are back in good standing. Even after the levy is removed, they can do it again, and again, and again. .

This is not to say that I do not firmly believe in you paying your support, and in a timely manner.

They didn't levy your account for a 60 day arrearage, so what's the real story?

megongabrielle

Child Support Levy

I am very disgusted with the whole child support system. The state always claims that fathers should support their kids, and that basically they are no longer allowed to have a life, and make a family that is healthy, get a job, and support themselves. They instead should deal with dead beat, lazy ex girlfriends who continue to have more children and make California residents pay for it. Then the state adds interest if the father cannot make a payment on time, because he is either affected by the overspending bad economy, or he lost his job, and is basically begging to feed the rest of his family. I am not sympathetic to the mothers out there who chose to have children, then not stay with the fathers, even if the father is a dead beat, not all men should suffer because of it. Bank Levy and tax levy is just another way for the state to make one father pay for 50 men's past due support. The system is not equal, and it is far from doing what it should to support children, how about making BOTH parents foot the bill, not force fathers to pay for all of the welfare bill. A woman should be just as responsible to repay the money as a father, why should women live off of welfare, and never re-pay a dime?

Proserpina

I am very disgusted with the whole child support system. The state always claims that fathers should support their kids, and that basically they are no longer allowed to have a life, and make a family that is healthy, get a job, and support themselves. They instead should deal with dead beat, lazy ex girlfriends who continue to have more children and make California residents pay for it. Then the state adds interest if the father cannot make a payment on time, because he is either affected by the overspending bad economy, or he lost his job, and is basically begging to feed the rest of his family. I am not sympathetic to the mothers out there who chose to have children, then not stay with the fathers, even if the father is a dead beat, not all men should suffer because of it. Bank Levy and tax levy is just another way for the state to make one father pay for 50 men's past due support. The system is not equal, and it is far from doing what it should to support children, how about making BOTH parents foot the bill, not force fathers to pay for all of the welfare bill. A woman should be just as responsible to repay the money as a father, why should women live off of welfare, and never re-pay a dime?

That's a nice vent, but a) the thread is over 2 years old and b) if you have a legal question, please start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">