• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Behind in child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tubba1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
I am currently behind in child support. I had gotten a new job and asked my employer to draft my child support payments out every week. My check comes direct deposit and I didn't get a paper stub showing if my child support came out. I asked my HR about my stub and they told me that I could look up my stub online, but they did not have me set up, yet. I asked if my child support was coming out, but no one could give me a direct answer. I tried calling family court to see if they were getting my child support payments and they told me that I would have to give them a written inquiry and that I needed my child support account number which I don't have and they would not give me. I have been with this company three months now and three weeks ago, HR finally gave me my log on to view my check stubs and they have only started taking out my child support for three weeks. Also, I have been served with papers to appear in family court. Since I have found out that I'm behind I have been trying to catch up three months of child support. I almost have it caught up but I know I will be short. I have been through the run around with this and I am worried that even though I have it almost caught up and it's now coming out directly from my check, that the judge will still throw me in jail.

2Mistakes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
I am currently behind in child support. I had gotten a new job and asked my employer to draft my child support payments out every week. My check comes direct deposit and I didn't get a paper stub showing if my child support came out. I asked my HR about my stub and they told me that I could look up my stub online, but they did not have me set up, yet. I asked if my child support was coming out, but no one could give me a direct answer. I tried calling family court to see if they were getting my child support payments and they told me that I would have to give them a written inquiry and that I needed my child support account number which I don't have and they would not give me. I have been with this company three months now and three weeks ago, HR finally gave me my log on to view my check stubs and they have only started taking out my child support for three weeks. Also, I have been served with papers to appear in family court. Since I have found out that I'm behind I have been trying to catch up three months of child support. I almost have it caught up but I know I will be short. I have been through the run around with this and I am worried that even though I have it almost caught up and it's now coming out directly from my check, that the judge will still throw me in jail.
I highly doubt you will be thrown in jail. Can you get proof of the date that you asked your employer to start deducting CS?

But you need to know that ultimately, it is your responsibility to ensure that your child support is paid. No excuses.

Tubba1

I highly doubt you will be thrown in jail. Can you get proof of the date that you asked your employer to start deducting CS?

But you need to know that ultimately, it is your responsibility to ensure that your child support is paid. No excuses.
I will ask my HR if they have on record when I asked to take out my child support.

I know it's my responsibility to make sure the child support is taken out and that's why for the past three months I have been hounding HR about it. I asked them so much they stopped responding to my messages. The place where my child support is paid treats me like dirt and they wouldn't even help me out with the account number to find out my balance. I just wanted to know my balance. Then I would long since known I was behind and paid my support. Trust me, had I known I would have sent them a check every week 'til it started drafting out. But again, I don't want to go to jail for this! I am trying so hard to do what I need to do. I almost have it caught up.

mistoffolees

After 3 months you still don't even have a pay stub?

I'd be camped out in front of HR until they got me some information.

Meanwhile, have you tried asking your ex if s/he has gotten any money for the past 3 months?

Tubba1

After 3 months you still don't even have a pay stub?

I'd be camped out in front of HR until they got me some information.

Meanwhile, have you tried asking your ex if s/he has gotten any money for the past 3 months?
I pretty much camped out! I was on the phone with them all the time, but I manage people under me and I got behind in my job. I have my pay stubs now, but what I understood they were waiting for my 90 days to be up before they finished processing my paper work! All my stubs come electronically.

As far as my ex goes, we do not get along! We have not spoken in over a year! I have not seen my kids in over a year. She told my mother that my kids don't want to see me anymore. I tried to find out why, but I get ignored. I don't want to force them to see me. They call my ex wife's new husband dad. I know I pay support to support them not to see them.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
That's what scares me! I've got it 85% paid up. I'm only lacking around $300. Plus it's coming out of my check now!
Dude, it wasn't decided last week to have a hearing next week or the week after about this. So breathe. You've been taking care of this, you've got the proof, yes? Judge is not going to jail a man who only owes $300 in arrears and is working diligently to catch up. Even judges know that stuff happens. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">