• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for child support after step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haithanhho

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I'm currently being sued for child support after a step parent adoption took place. I signed a Consent under oath by birth father Section 63.2-1241 of the Virginia Code which stated that the adoption terminates obligation and duty to pay child support and terminated arrearages of child support, if any should exist at the time of adoption. I know the adoption is final because I tried to file for her birth certificate and I was told I'm not listed on the birth certificate and they couldn't give me a copy. I was told by the child's mother that her lawyer would send the appropriate documents to the judge handling the child support case etc. Clearly that never happened and I've been told I need those papers. I have no way of knowing what county the adoption took place. Her last known residence to me was in Woodbridge Virginia. She has moved since the adoption took place and ceased all contact with me. I'm unsure of where to go from here.

single317dad

Did you never receive any paperwork on the adoption? Did you never appear in court on the matter? The fact that you aren't listed on the child's birth certificate is evidence that may lead one to believe there was an adoption, but there are other reasons that might be true.

Assuming the adoption actually took place, CSE should be able to look that information up a lot more easily than you can. I bet if you ask the right person nicely they could have the information in just a few minutes. Which child support agency is pursuing you for back support?

Otherwise, start your search in Prince William County, Virginia, and go from there. Try this site:

http://www.courts.state.va.us/caseinfo/

or try the PWC clerk of courts at (703) 792-6029.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I'm currently being sued for child support after a step parent adoption took place. I signed a Consent under oath by birth father Section 63.2-1241 of the Virginia Code which stated that the adoption terminates obligation and duty to pay child support and terminated arrearages of child support, if any should exist at the time of adoption. I know the adoption is final because I tried to file for her birth certificate and I was told I'm not listed on the birth certificate and they couldn't give me a copy. I was told by the child's mother that her lawyer would send the appropriate documents to the judge handling the child support case etc. Clearly that never happened and I've been told I need those papers. I have no way of knowing what county the adoption took place. Her last known residence to me was in Woodbridge Virginia. She has moved since the adoption took place and ceased all contact with me. I'm unsure of where to go from here.
Are you being sued for arrears or a current (if faulty) obligation?

Who is suing you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">