• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

best way to document delivery of bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schroedingercat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi! I have medical bills which we are both obligated to pay for 50/50. I have tried physically handing them to the Ex (in front of the police officer he drags to my house for his "safety") and he said I never gave them to him. I have tried emailing them as attachments, but he either says they are unreadable, or won't open them because I might be sending him a virus (Gmail scans for those :rolleyes:). I tried sending them certified mail with delivery confirmation, and he said the envelopes were empty. I apparently like spending money just to give him a hard time.

Now I am going to try to collect through the department of Revenue (someone here referred me to it: Welcome to the Florida Department of Revenue web site thank you again!), but since he claims I have never given them to him, I am not sure I'll be able to collect.

SO, what is the best, most foolproof way to deliver something to someone for future bills? I don't want to pay alot of money to prove it, since that would defeat the purpose of asking for him to pay his fair share.

CSO286

Certified mail, return reciept requested.

If he refuses delivery, do not open it. Use it as evidence of your attempts to request reimbursement from him if you file contempt agsinst him for failure to pay his share of the uninsured/unreimbursed medical expenses.

You may have to do this before the DOR will assist you in collection efforts.

mistoffolees

Certified mail, return reciept requested.

If he refuses delivery, do not open it. Use it as evidence of your attempts to request reimbursement from him if you file contempt agsinst him for failure to pay his share of the uninsured/unreimbursed medical expenses.

You may have to do this before the DOR will assist you in collection efforts.
I would go one step further. It sounds like ex is accepting the envelopes, but claiming that they are empty.

I would give all the documents to a neutral third party. Ask them to make a copy and then insert the originals into an envelope and send CRRR. If ex tries to claim that the envelopes are empty, having a third party who stuffed them and mailed them might earn ex a nice contempt charge.

Or, if ex has an attorney, send them to the attorney.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Misto's advice is pretty close to what I do these days since the X said I send duplicates of the SAME ticket. I take everything over to my neighbor and have her verify everything that goes in the envelope. She places them in (we are both there) and then she has the mailman take it.

I would probably send a copy to HIM CRRR and mail identical items to OAG.

schroedingercat

he wouldnt pay for it - and i sure wont pay for it for him :) this is what the DOR said:

Send it certified with delivery confirmation. If he refuses it, dont open the envelope, they will use it as proof. They dont care if he lies about the envelope being empty, he will still be held responsible. Nice, no fuss no muss. Cheaper to just pay the postage than for that wizard.
Sure wish we were on good enough terms to use that though, it looks really nice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">