• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bi-weekly pay periods and CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2Mistakes

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I live in MS, and the order is in LA.

I am paid bi-weekly, and most months, I receive 2 paychecks. However, this month I get 3 paychecks (1/3, 1/17, & 1/31)

I received a notice from my employer that starting with my 1/3 paycheck, they will be deducting $211 from each paycheck for CS, which is fine. Now, i don't have to run to the bank each month to get a cashier's check, and I know it will be paid on time.

My CS order is for $422 per month. The months that I get 2 paychecks, this is fine. They will be withholding $422.

But this month I get paid 3 times. If they hold $211 out of each check, I will be paying $633.

I sent an email to my payroll dept. to see if they know if they will be withholding the $211 from all 3 checks, and I tried to call LA CSE, but after holding for 87 minutes without speaking to a person, I had to hang up. I have not heard back from my payroll dept. yet.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my payroll dept. may not knw the answer to this. When I've dealt with them before, they didn't seem very bright.

So, if they hold it out of all 3 checks this month, how do I get the additional $211 back? I will need that to pay other bills. I realize that it will most likely be credited to my CS account, but if they keep taking $211 from each check, I'll just have a credit there that I can't access.

Any advice?

JacobJoel

here...

You need to TELL payroll how to do it so that you don't get messed over. here is the formula.

Monthly CS multiplied by 12 to get the yearly total.
Divide the YEARLY total by 26 (number of times paid).
This gives you the amount to be paid PER PAY DAY.

it looks like this:

Court Ordered CS is 422.00 a month (5064.00)
Divided by 26 (number of paydays) = 194.76 Per Check

You will have to do this for them, they will NOT figure it out right if you don't.

My husband is paid in advance to the tune of a a years worth of CS because he didn't figure this out right in the beginning.

Don't panic and don't call your payroll with an attitude or stressed out. Just contact anyone who can help you (and be patient and persistent till you find that person) and then offer to send them an email or come over (if possible).

have it worked out FOR THEM on paper so they can see it, and take your court order with you.

if they haven't started deducting yet this is perfect. just be extremely helpful and see if they will do it right NOW, in the beginning.

if at all possible.

I edited this using your numbers. hope it helps.

Last edited:

wileybunch

Gee, biweekly payrolls are so unique -- not.
It's scary to think a payroll department cannot figure something like this out! :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">