• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marie Piervince

New Jersey - I am involved with a man, and am considering marriage. Before I do, I need some things clarified. He now pays $2500 in child support monthly. He has 5 children - one away in another state, grown up and working, one living with him, graduating this year, and 3 living with his former spouse. Two are minors, one is 18 and in college. Apparently he has to pay the 2,500 no matter what, until the youngest is grown. Since he was "stupid enough" (his words, not mine) and beaten down enough to represent himself without a lawyer, he agreed to it initially. The ex wife does not work, and will continue to collect. She is remarried, and kept the marital home. He apparently paid alimony even after the ex remarried, which when revealed, was stopped. He has tried to get the amount reduced, and all he has gotten is more legal fees, and nothing seems to be able to be done.

I am afraid that if I marry him, this woman can somehow attach whatever little I have, if he is no longer able to pay the 2,500, due to a disability or some unforseen situation. Is this possible? And is there any way that this amount can be reduced due to only 3 children living at home?

Thanks for any insight. New Jersey seems to have laws that differ from most.What is the name of your state?

NotSoNew

well is the 2500 in child support, or is this amount ordered in his divorce decree under some other heading, like maintence or alimoney? if it is standard child support, he has a right to have it reviewed and possibly reduced as long as he qualifies.

The Internal Revenue Service has a form that you must file in order to prevent any assets and income tax refunds that may be due to you,if you were to marry him and file a joint return.
Also please note that when it comes to any personal assets such as joint accounts,and other properties purchased after marriage may be subject to seizure through state and federal offsets,often the lower executive courts,states in which utilise administrative processes,will attempt to seize a spouses properties acquired after marriage,their mentality is that if the new spouse has everything in their name alone then it is simply an attempt of the spouse to prevent any properties from being seized,it isnt right as I agree,but it happens all the time.
If a spouse has a child support order against them,and any debts associated to an award of child support such as arrearages,and does not work even if its not their fault of being unemployed,or even under employed some courts will apply the presumption that the working spouse is supporting their partner thus is accepting to pay all bills associated as a partner or spouse,once again this is what happens when the people sit idle and let the government run amock! regain your rights!
We are born with rights given to us by the laws of nature and of nature's God intended,therefor rights are not granted as a privilage by governments.

LdiJ

Marie Piervince said:
New Jersey - I am involved with a man, and am considering marriage. Before I do, I need some things clarified. He now pays $2500 in child support monthly. He has 5 children - one away in another state, grown up and working, one living with him, graduating this year, and 3 living with his former spouse. Two are minors, one is 18 and in college. Apparently he has to pay the 2,500 no matter what, until the youngest is grown. Since he was "stupid enough" (his words, not mine) and beaten down enough to represent himself without a lawyer, he agreed to it initially. The ex wife does not work, and will continue to collect. She is remarried, and kept the marital home. He apparently paid alimony even after the ex remarried, which when revealed, was stopped. He has tried to get the amount reduced, and all he has gotten is more legal fees, and nothing seems to be able to be done.

I am afraid that if I marry him, this woman can somehow attach whatever little I have, if he is no longer able to pay the 2,500, due to a disability or some unforseen situation. Is this possible? And is there any way that this amount can be reduced due to only 3 children living at home?

Thanks for any insight. New Jersey seems to have laws that differ from most.What is the name of your state?
As long as you keep your assets separate from his (no joint accounts or jointly owned property) then your assets are safe.

However, before he runs up any further legal fees, it would be wise to at least run the numbers on an online calculator to see if a modification of child support would make a real difference. Generally child support for 3 kids isn't much less than child support for 5.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">