• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bills from multiple states on same child.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saint grimm

Missouri.

Exactly 3 years ago I was arrested for felony non-support (owed 7 grand). I finally manged to get back on my feet and get it all paid off as well as get off probation just a few months ago, in April.

Today, I recieved a letter from Kansas, stating that I owe them over 15 grand on the same child, and claims I've paid 0.00 with a monthly bill of $206.

My daughter did live in Kansas for a short time and I was getting bills from them, I mentioned it to the judge while in court and his exact words were "Don't worry about that, we're the ones that's going to put you in prison if you don't pay us." So now here I am 3 years later and I somehow owe Kansas over 15k...

One of the only reasons Missouri came after me is because she's on welfare, therefore, the state pays her and I owe the state instead of her (according to the prosecutor back then) and at once I owe this money "to Kansas" I'm making an assumption and saying she's pulling welfare from both states as well.

What are my options? I'll NEVER move to Kansas, so can I just ignore this? Can they garnish my wages if I'm not living there??

EDIT:
I'd like to note that she first moved to Kansas when our child was less than 1 year old. I got bills from both until she moved back here, then I did not recieve another bill from Kansas until after I got arrested, shortly before the Judge told me not to worry about it and owed around the same amount I owed Missouri at that time.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How long did she live in Kansas and how long ago? I'd hazard a guess that she was getting state aid there and it's been accruing interest. But really, I would contact a lawyer in KS and see what they can find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">