• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boss received order to garnish my paycheck, but I'm not behind in child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lucio22

What is the name of your state? TN

I began paying child support in January, after we split up. My attorney made an error in the paperwork and had it down as if I made twice as much money as I do. The amount he said I made weekly was actually what I made every two weeks. I asked him to change it and he said I had to do it myself by filing paperwork with the local child support office. I paid the amount in error because I had no choice, for Jan, Feb, and March and I paid on time. In April my ex and I talked to the local child support office together to discuss it and were advised to go to court, and the court date was set in early May. My child support case worker told me to hold off on paying for April because I had overpaid and would most likely get credit. I had been paying them half my wages for 3 months and was in debt. We went to court in May but did not have to stand before the judge. A court officer took our information and agreed with error and updated the amount accordingly. It was not backdated to January, but it was backdated to adjust for April. So I promptly sent a check to include payment for April and May the next day.

Today my boss said he received notice from the state to garnish my wages every two weeks. There was no reason given. I've not been notified by anyone that there was a problem. I followed the advise of my case worker regarding the April payment.

Since my April payment was included with my May payment, according to recommendation by my child support case worker, could this have triggered some automatic flag at the child support main office in Nashville? Does this put me on a list of deadbeat dads?

fairisfair

Many states have gone to automatic garnishment. In fact Most have. It may simply be an administrative order of assignment, in which case they do not have to notify you. Or appear in court.

What difference does it make?? so long as your support is getting paid,?

Lucio22

Well it actually would make it easier for me, since I don't have to think about writing out the check every month. I want to pay her because she needs it and I worry enough about my daughter as it is.

But I thought this would reflect negatively on me. Am I wrong about that?

A friend told me his paycheck was garnished (for something different) and it affected his ability to get a new job because the prospective employer assumed it as a character flaw. I don't want to carry a negative mark with me for the next 16 years.

Could this also affect my credit rating, as if I were unable to pay my bills?

Also, doesn't this put me on a deadbeat dad list?

LdiJ

Well it actually would make it easier for me, since I don't have to think about writing out the check every month. I want to pay her because she needs it and I worry enough about my daughter as it is.

But I thought this would reflect negatively on me. Am I wrong about that?

A friend told me his paycheck was garnished (for something different) and it affected his ability to get a new job because the prospective employer assumed it as a character flaw. I don't want to carry a negative mark with me for the next 16 years.

Could this also affect my credit rating, as if I were unable to pay my bills?

Also, doesn't this put me on a deadbeat dad list?
Its not going to effect negatively....and it definitely won't effect your credit rating. Only serious non-payment of support effects your credit rating.

Lucio22

Thank you both for your replies.

I feel relieved and appreciate your responses. I may have I panicked over something that I didn't understand. It seemed like a punishment for something I didn't think I did.

jbowman

If you were paying back the state for welfare benefits that your ex received, it can go on your credit report. Even if you are current.

MrsK

Its not going to effect negatively....and it definitely won't effect your credit rating. Only serious non-payment of support effects your credit rating.
Not neccessarily.

My husband pays through SES (no garnishment, pays voluntarily) and it shows up on his credit report. He is not in arrears, has not been since a couple of months after the order was established, and it shows up as a revoloving debt.

garrula lingua

When I did FL years ago, cs was showing up on ncp's credit report.
Most of those instances were current support with arrearages.

I don't know if the arrearages kicked in the credit reporting, but it was sure there.
It greatly affected credit applications (mortgages & cars).

EHFAR

For years I was paying my ex directly (mailing her a check every other week) but eventually decided it would be easier on me if they just took it out of my pay immediately. So I signed up for wage assignment voluntarily. I, too, was worried that Dads who have their paychecks garnished are looked at as people who can't be depended on to send the support any other way, but I've since learned that isn't the case. In fact, when I went to the child support office to sign up, the employees there were so happy and impressed.

Don't worry about it. I think it's better to have it garnished- the state keeps a record of your payments in case there are any disputes, and you are more protected that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">