• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brokenhearted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbabee39

What i

s the name of your state?Texas My husband's exwife died about 3 1/2 yrs.ago. Due to some personal and significant things going on in our lives, temporary custody of his now 13yr.daughter was granted to her half-aunt on her mother's side. My husband was ordered at the time of her death to pay the arrears on cs. This was paid off and no futhercs has been garnished from his check in about 1 1/2 yrs. Her aunt is receiving ssi for her care as she should. Here's the thing, on my husband's last paycheck cs was deducted.
There was no continuing order for ongoing cs at the time of her death and the Tx Att. Gen. ssays there are no open cases for cont. cs. Her aunt still has custody which we decided would probably be the least upsetting thing for her since her mother passed away. However, we recently got a letter from his daughter saying that she didn't want any of us in her life. This hurt all of us deeply. My daughters esp. were crushed, honestly as were all of us.
Here is the thing, I am very opposed to paying any further cs should it come up if she hates us all so much. Her aunt has poisoned her mind and I think I am most angry because of the harm that I feel that it will and has done to this 13 yr. old child. Should we take the aunt to court to regain custody? Please help. Can the aunt draw her mom's ssi as well as cs if comes up?

Shay-Pari'e

Yes, she can. To freaking bad you are opposed to him making further support payments. It is coming out of his checks now.

Please look up and learn the child support laws. Leave the Aunt alone, your husband didn't step up to the plate, did he?

You picked him. :rolleyes:

Shay-Pari'e

Today, 02:17 AM
gbabee39
Junior Member Join Date: Mar 2005

separated but now widowed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is t
he name of your state?Texas my husband and were married for 13years. He just very recently passed away. We were seperated at the time of his death, for appr. 6 months. Am I entitled to everything in his estate? There is no will and we had no children. He does have 3 grown children from 2 previous marriages. What are my rights? His children are trying to see that I am left with nothing. What, if any is my recourse?

gbabee39
View Public Profile
Find all posts by gbabee39
Add gbabee39 to Your Buddy List

Post Your Case To An Attorney

#2 Today, 02:21 AM
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE
Señor Member Join Date: Jan 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabee39
What is t
he name of your state?Texas my husband and were married for 13years. He just very recently passed away. We were seperated at the time of his death, for appr. 6 months. Am I entitled to everything in his estate? There is no will and we had no children. He does have 3 grown children from 2 previous marriages. What are my rights? His children are trying to see that I am left with nothing. What, if any is my recourse?

My response:

Were you "legally" separated, or merely living apart?

Who's telling you that you're not entitled to his estate, and why?

IAAL

By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE
View Public Profile
Find all posts by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE
Add I AM ALWAYS LIABLE to Your Buddy List

#3 Today, 02:31 AM
gbabee39
Junior Member Join Date: Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE
My response:

Were you "legally" separated, or merely living apart?

Who's telling you that you're not entitled to his estate, and why?

IAAL

It is my understanding that there is no actual legal separation in the Texas.
We also owe quit a large sum in back irs.His children say that since were were not living together that they are entitled to 1/4 of the estate each. Thus instead of myself getting all of the estate, I will only get 1/4 of it now..That is even iffy because I have don't have any funds to fight this in court for very long at all.

gbabee39
View Public Profile
Find all posts by gbabee39
Add gbabee39 to Your Buddy List

#4 Today, 02:42 AM
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE
Señor Member Join Date: Jan 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabee39

That is even iffy because I have don't have any funds to fight this in court for very long at all.

My response:

Then, what would you like from this site?

IAAL

By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">