• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brothers Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cibolosylvia

TEXAS. My brother is under the impression that as long as he is paying child support of $25 per week, he is not under any pressure of having his inheritance released to his ex-wife for child support in arears. Is this correct or can she still claim the arrears to be paid, which is in the thousands?

ceara19

cibolosylvia said:
TEXAS. My brother is under the impression that as long as he is paying child support of $25 per week, he is not under any pressure of having his inheritance released to his ex-wife for child support in arears. Is this correct or can she still claim the arrears to be paid, which is in the thousands?
More than likely, even if he weren't paying any support, the inheritence would not be released directly to his ex-wife. Once he receives the inheritence, depending on exactly what he does with it, she could put a lien on any property or bank accounts and collect her money that way.

cibolosylvia said:
In my state (California) if you have a case open with the DCSS, the state can attach inheritance to pay child support in arrears. If your brother is thousands in arrears, he shouldn't be overly confident that his inheritance won't be attached.

ceara19

justmom611 said:
In my state (California) if you have a case open with the DCSS, the state can attach inheritance to pay child support in arrears. If your brother is thousands in arrears, he shouldn't be overly confident that his inheritance won't be attached.
While that may be true in Califonia, it is not so in TEXAS. the OAG will not attach the inheritance directly. One he tranfers ownership og inherited property to his name or places any inherited money into a bank account, a lien can be placed on the property and/or account for the past due amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">